XIII. Spending The Day With The Daniels Boys

A/N: Adorableness ahead!!
Remember to vote, comment, and follow!

———
XIII. Spending The Day With The Daniels Boys

"Dad hurry! I think I got one. Maybe it's a big one this time!" JD yells over at Nate as his little pole that's stuck in the sand starts bobbing up and down at the end.

"Oh yeah I think you're right buddy," Nate says enthusiastically and helps JD by pulling it out of the sand and holding onto it so it doesn't get ripped from JD's little hands.

JD begins to reel in the line casually, going a little bit at a time so he doesn't snap the line. I can tell by watching him that Nate has taught him well. I smile as I watch Nate kneel down next to JD while holding the pole underneath his son's little hand. I've been watching him all day since we got here. The way he acts with his son I can tell he absolutely adores him. That little boy is the light of his life. As JD reels in closer, the fish on his hook jumps up from the water, fighting the line.

"Look Dad! He's big!" JD cries out with excitement. His eyes are zeroed in on the end of his line as he reels it in a bit closer.

When the end of the line gets close enough to where the fish is hanging from the hook, Nate reaches up and grabs its mouth, carefully removing it from the hook. JD beams up at the fish in his dad's hand and jumps up and down with excitement.

"Look Bex! It's a big one! I think it's the biggest one I've caught yet!" he looks over at me, pointing at the fish.

"Wow good job JD!" I congratulate him with excitement as I walk closer to him. He reaches up and gives me a high five.

"Okay buddy, he's settled down a bit so you can hold him. I want to get a picture of you with it," Nate hands JD the trout and grabs his phone from its clip on his belt. I motion to move out of the way but JD grabs my hand.

"Take the picture with me Bex, please?" he looks up at me with hopeful eyes and I smile down at him.

I nod my head and kneel down next to him as he wraps his arm around my shoulders while leaning the side of his head against mine. I can't help the big smile that grows on my face as Nate snaps the photo. When he's done looking at it, he looks up at me and smiles. I can't see his eyes through his sunglasses but I can tell he's enjoying this moment.

Nate grabs the trout from JD and walks it over to the ice box reserved for fish. We've caught four in total. I caught two of the four within an hour of arriving and JD thought it was so cool he gave me the nickname The Fish Whisperer.

We fish for a couple more hours, catching three more, making it seven total. Not bad for just the three of us. When the sun is starting to go down, we begin to pack up to leave.

Half way home, JD has fallen asleep in the back seat. He's so adorable as he lays back there, wearing Nate's baseball cap, his mouth agape as he quietly snores, just like his daddy. I smile as I turn my head back around towards the road ahead.

I look through the passenger window and am in awe at the night sky. I forgot just how well you can see the stars out here. You can't see the stars in the big city and that was one thing I missed while living there. I remember laying out on my roof outside my bedroom window with Nate laying next to me as we looked up at the stars and talked.

I feel Nate glance over at me and I let out a shy smile. Why am I so nervous? I've known this man nearly all my life.

He lets out a sigh and runs his fingers through his wavy hair. I notice the tattoo on his bicep peaking out from under his shirt and smile as I think about what other tattoos he has, about how they look on him naked. I quickly shake the thought from my head.