XXXV. Face-To-Face With Pure Evil

A/N: Have you guys enjoyed the rework so far?
Vote, comment, and follow!

———
XXXV. Face-To-Face With Pure Evil

NATHAN

There's one of two things I can do before I make my next move.

I could either run straight into it—most likely a trap— or I can think this through clearly and come up with a plan.

He wouldn't get rid of Bex this quick. No, the type of man he is, they're all about power and showing off. If he were to kill Bex right now so soon, it would make this whole journey of his worthless. He'll make her want to suffer and pay for running.

Anger boils inside me as I think about what he would do to her. I know he saw us outside of the bar today so he knows she's moved on. I'm sure he's not too happy about that either.

I'm also pretty sure he heard me back when I pulled in, so he knows I'm here. I mean who wouldn't? You'd have to be deaf not to hear my big truck coming up the road let alone pulling up just outside.

He most likely shot his gun as either a warning or a lure to bring me inside. I'm sure it was the latter, trying to catch me in a trap.

One thing this guy doesn't know—is that I spent six years in the Armed forces and most of that time I was overseas running infantry based missions. My job was to make sure we didn't run straight into a trap. So I'm not going to just run in through the front door like an idiot and let him shoot me.

I make my way around the side towards the back of the house where I find Bex's bedroom window, the same window I've climbed into many times. She's always been really bad at leaving it unlocked—mostly because she didn't want to get up and unlock it for either me or Heather when we'd come over after hours as teenagers.

I put my gun in my holster quickly and quietly climb up the lattice that runs down the side of the house right under her bedroom window. Thankfully the window is unlocked and I didn't have to use my knife to unlock it. I climb through the window and softly close it. I don't need the wind blowing through and knocking stuff over, calling attention to my whereabouts.

I softly walk along the floor, making sure I don't make any noise. The bad thing about older house like this with wooden floors, they creak easily.

As I get into the hallway, I unholster my gun once again and have it ready as I take a quick glance around the corner, spotting the two of them.

Kevin has his arm around Bex with his hand covering her mouth, probably so she won't yell out to warn me. He's standing with the gun pointed at the front door, waiting for me to come in.

I fucking knew it.

Quietly, I step down the stairs, my gun pointed at him but I don't have a clear shot at him because the way he's holding Bex—her head is covering my view of his. I could shoot him in the arm but that would only piss him off and he could either shoot me or shoot Bex. I definitely don't want the latter.

He's too busy staring at the door so he doesn't see me quietly walking down the stairs. However, Bex notices me out of the corner of her eyes and adverts them towards me.