Chapter Eight

Blair's POV

As I sat by the side of the couch next to my unconscious sister, all I could think about was the way Damon would stare at me and then at Arielle. He was genuinely concerned about my sister. I haven't seen much of anything redeemable in him since I have been here, but right here and now as he's staring her, there's humanity, feeling inside of his eyes that make me feel warm and safe inside. Damon was very different from Stefan because Stefan would never do anything to hurt us, but his brother would trade us off for blood or booze in an instant.

As Arie lied there, I turned to the boys with seriousness on my face.

"What the hell happened?" I asked once again. I folded my arms over my chest and glared at them both. "What did you do Damon?!" I yelled.

"What makes you think it was me?! It could have been one of Stef's bunnies trying to get even." He joked. It took everything inside of my melting body not to laugh at him.

"Now is not the time for jokes Damon." Stefan said sternly. "Blair," I turned to look at him. "She's fine. I gave her some blood and it's taking awhile, but she's healing." I breathed calmly. I knew another way to heal her and a lot faster than vampire blood.

"I can help her even more." I stated turning to her. The brothers looked at me with confused faces.

"Blair? What the hell are you talking about?" Damon asked sounding a little scared. I just stood there is silence. I was in my own thought about saving my sister. "Blair, dammit, answer me!" Damon said with clenched teeth as he made me face him by grabbing my shoulders roughly.

"Its nothing. Never mind." I said quickly, hoping that they would drop it. No one is supposed to know, not even my sister. I've always been the one to protect her. If she found out now, she would think I betrayed her. "I need to get some air."

I walked outside the boarding house. I almost slipped my biggest secret to them. Mom told me, many years ago, to never tell anyone about what I really am or they may try to use me for their own gain. I have to protect Arielle from anyone who would hurt her and from me.

Arielle's POV

The light.

It was so bright. I could faintly hear voices in the back of my head mumbling about how it was someone's fault that a person is either hurt or dead. I could feel something soft underneath my limp body. The voices became clearer and I could make out one voice distinctly more than any of them.

Damon.

His voice was so crisp and beautiful. I focused on him and tried to come to reality because I couldn't imagine what hell Blair had chewed into him since I'm only here for one more day and I've been attacked by something. What was that? I know it was a person, but that sharp pain in my neck. It felt like an animal attacking me, but I know it was a person because of the way the figure was shaped.

"We can't let her go without knowing what she meant!" Damon said with curiosity and worry in his voice. Who was he talking about? Blair? Speaking of my sister why is she not here with me?

I slowly opened my eyes and was blinded by the fire that was blazing in the fireplace. The noise that escaped my mouth was something foreign to me. I had never heard such a sound, but I wasn't worried about that because the pounding in my head was unbearable. I blocked the light with my hand and tried to focus my eyes to find my surroundings. The room I was in was very modern, but with an elegant old look to it. The looked at the mantle of the fireplace and saw a lot of pictures and random things on top of it.

"Arielle. How do you feel? l" I heard a voice next to me. I turned to my right and saw Stefan with concern in his eyes.

"I'm fine, it's just the fire is hurting my eyes." I groaned. As if he cared about my well-being, Damon stood in front of me to block the light from my eyes. I looked up at him, but didn't nod a thank you or even say it. I just smiled and he did the same. Maybe there was something to worry about. Falling for this man that I've known for only a day.