Chapter 1 ~ The Avengers Initiative

Police sirens fill my ears as I chase after the car in front of me. These thugs stole thousands of dollars from the bank and think they're gonna get away, but sure as hell are wrong.

One of them rolls down the window and starts shooting at me. I move out of the way as I continue to chase them.

"Road work ahead." My best friend, Brian Woodlum, warns me in my earpiece.

"Uh yeah, I sure hope it does," I respond to him as I continue to dodge the bullets coming for me.

"I'm serious they started construction on that street a few weeks ago," Brian tells me.

Well, then that changes things. I run as fast as possible, snatching someone's toolbox as I pass. I run-up to the car and quickly disassemble it, leaving only the car seats. The thug's seats skid across the pavement and to a complete stop right as they were about to hit the construction site. I take their guns away before they could use them and put handcuffs on them.

The police arrive a few seconds after I handcuff the thugs. They take them away as I walk over to them with the bag of money that they stole.

"I think this goes to you." I hand the officer the bag of money.

He takes it and nods. "Thank you, Speedy."

Speedy is what the people of New York call me. Don't know who came up with it, but I kinda like it, even though it is copyright. I guess you can already guess what my powers are due to the name.

The adrenaline is still coursing through my veins as I look down at my suit. This thing has lasted well over the one year that I have been doing this. Besides some minor rips from weapons and walls, that I will occasionally run into, it has been fine. The material is quite strong despite it being really light and smooth to the touch. I was wary to wear it, at first, because of how weak it felt but Brian convinced me to wear it and it is my favorite color, black, which is the color of my soul. The suit is completely black with nothing on it. The material is so smooth and light because it is friction proof so that it doesn't catch fire while I run. It fits my body comfortably, not too tight but it is tight enough to improve my aerodynamics. The sleeves go all the way down my arms to my wrists where it cuts off. Brain gave me gloves as well but they are separate in case I need to use my hands for something delicate. There is a zipper that goes down my back to allow me to change into it quickly because you have to move quickly as a speedster superhero. Brian obviously created a mask for me to wear so that I could remain anonymous. It is small enough so that it doesn't get in my way and it covers just my eyes. It covers my cheekbones and rounds above my eyes to cover part of my forehead. The gloves and mask are black to match the suit. I don't know how the mask stays on but it does so I don't question it. Since I am a speedster I needed to wear comfortable shoes. Brian originally gave me boots that were black along with the suit but I replaced them with my favorite pair of sneakers. The sneakers are red with black laces. The soles of the shoes are white which adds more color. I know everything should be black to help disguise me but everyone has adopted it as my brand now, so I don't think I could ever change it. Needless to say, this suit has really made it easier to work as a superhero and it definitely hides the fact that I am just a teenager.

I look in front of me to see an all too familiar man standing in the distance. He looks at me and gestures to me to follow him.

I look at the officer. "Uh, yeah no problem. Have a nice day." I walk off before he can respond.

"Nice job (Y/n)," Brian says to me.

"It was no biggie. I'll meet you back at the lab later, Brian." I tell him as I round the corner to where the man is.