Chapter 6 ~ Egotistical son of a Nazi

"Well I promise a stress-free environment. No tension, no surprises." I hear Tony say as he zaps Bruce in his side.

"Ow!" Bruce yelps.

"Hey!" Steve yells as we walk in.

"Nothing?" Tony shrugs.

"Are you fucking stupid?" I look at him like he's crazy. Steve slaps the back of my head, "Ow, hey!" I look up at Steve in irritation, he looks at me and raises a brow then turns his attention back to Stark.

"Are you nuts?"

"Jury's out." Tony turns his attention back to Banner. "You really have got a lid on it haven't you? What's your secret? Mellow jazz, bongo drums, huge bag of weed?"

"Wait, are we just going to ignore the fact that Fourth of July here just slapped me?"

"Is everything a joke to you?" Steve says to Tony.

"Funny things are."

"Guess so," I mumble.

"Threatening the safety of everyone on this ship isn't funny. No offense Doc." Steve nods to Bruce.

"Yeah I-it's alright. I wouldn't have come aboard if I couldn't handle pointy things."

"You're tiptoeing big man." Tony points to Bruce with the thing he jabbed him with. "You need to strut."

"And you need to focus on the problem Mr. Stark."

I can tell there's gonna be a fight starting between the two and honestly, it's a fight I want to see so I stay quiet. If it does turn out to be a fight I know who I'm rooting for.

"You think I'm not? Why did Fury call us in? Why now? Why not before? What isn't he telling us? I can't do the equation unless I have all the variables."

"You think Fury's hiding something?"

"He's a spy, Captain. He's the spy. His secrets have secrets." Tony shoves a blueberry in his mouth. "It's bugging them too. Isn't it?" He points to Bruce and me.

"Don't involve me in this!" I cross my arms over my chest.

"Aaahhh... I just want to finish my work here and—." Bruce says, not wanting to get involved either.

"Doctor?" Steve questions.

Bruce stayed silent for a few seconds and took off his glasses. "'A warm light for all mankind'. Loki's jab at Fury about the cube."

"We heard it." Steve nods.

"Actually I zoned out on that part," I speak up.

"I heard it." Steve corrects.

"Well I think that was meant for you." Bruce points at Tony. Tony offers Bruce some blueberries and he accepts. "Even if Barton didn't tell Loki about the tower, it was still all over the news."

"The Stark Tower? That big ugly—" Steve pauses, smiling to himself as Stark gives him a look, "—building in New York?"

"It's powered by an arc reactor self-sustaining energy source. That building will run itself for what, a year?"

"It's just a prototype." Tony turns his attention to us. "I'm kind of the only name in clean energy right now, that's what he's getting at."

"So, why didn't SHIELD bring him in on the Tesseract project? What are they even doing in the energy business in the first place?" Banner points out.

"I should probably look into that once my decryption program finishes breaking into all of SHIELD's secure files," Tony says while walking around a table and pulls a tiny monitor out his pocket and taps away at it.