Chapter 27 ~ Start of Something New

3 days later

It's been three days since everything happened. My old house is a wreck, but no casualties from neighboring houses. The man that took everything away from me, but also gave me these wonderful powers, got away.

I mope around the tower and enter Steve's room. It's empty of course. I've actually never really taken the time to look around his room. I head for the table on the side of his bed where there is a photo of all of us, the Avengers, making the dumbest faces ever. I smile at the memory. I then look at the origami bird on his dresser and pick it up. He always carried it with him, it was in his suit when he was shot so it had bloodstains on it. I never got the chance to teach him how to make one. I set it down and look around the rest of his room. He kept his room very neat that's for sure.

I spot an old picture of Steve smiling with his arm around another guy. The guy's hair was cut nicely and he was smiling just as widely as Steve. The picture is in black and white and was obviously taken when he was in the war.

'Bucky?' I think, remembering Steve mentioning him before.

I take another look around and spot a picture of a woman. I recognize her as Peggy Carter, the founder of SHIELD. I find another photo on his dresser of me and Steve, knocked out asleep on my bed with me curled up on Steve. My mom took that photo and sent it to me.

I smile at the photo before exiting his room, making my way to the living room.

"Are you still moping around?" Tony asks as I walk into the room. I give him a 'really' look and plop on the couch.

"The talent show starts in half an hour, we should get going," Natasha says. Everyone gets up to leave as I lay on the couch staring at the ceiling. Natasha stays behind. "(Y/n) I know you want Steve to be there to see you perform—"

"Natasha." I start. I can already feel the depression getting ready to hit me again.

"I know you don't want to hear it, but you'll do great. And if he was here with us, he would say the same thing."

I sigh. "I know." I get up from the couch. "I'll see you guys there," I say and take off to grab one of Tony's guitars which he is letting me use for the talent show. I then speed off to school.

Roy and I are supposed to be performing a duet. 'The Start of Something New' is the song we are going to sing because Tony wants me to sing a High School Musical song. I wait backstage with the other participants as the talent show starts. It's getting close to our performance and Roy is nowhere to be found.

My phone then dings. It's from Roy.

Roy: sorry can't make it to the show I'm sick

Well then that's just perfect, but I can't blame him. I can just sing the song as a solo.

"And now, what you've all been waiting for... we saved the best for last, you people know her as the superhero Speedy, we have here (Y/n) and Roy singing 'The Start of Something New'." One of my classmates announces.

I step onto the stage with my guitar. The crowd goes wild. I spot the team sitting in the front row, no disguises either. There are two microphones in the middle of the stage. I put the strap of the guitar around my body as I walk to one of the microphones and adjust it to my height.

"Hey. How's everyone doing tonight?" I ask in the mic. The crowd goes wild once again and I wait until it's quiet to start talking again. "Unfortunately my partner, Roy, won't be joining me tonight, he's sick. So I will be singing the song by myself."

I clear my throat and breathe before starting.

"Living in my own world

Didn't understand