3

Tiana

The rest of the day went pretty smoothly. Davina introduced me to a popular local diner known as Georgio's Café. We went there for lunch and I ordered a coffee while getting to know the people that I would be hanging out with from now on. 

You can learn a lot from just observing people.

Travis flirted with Davina and she blushed every time. Rosalie doesn't really like to be around Emma very much. I later found out that they were cousins, which was a total shock on my end. Emma was loud and chirpy, while Rosalie was tranquil and a little meek. I noticed that Adrian would stare at every girl's ass that would walk by, and every girl encouraged his advances. Clay stared a lot at Rosalie, but he did a decent job of keeping it on the down low. Except, Rosalie gazed longingly at Adrian, jaw ticked every time he winked at the pretty waitress.

After the lunch period was over, everyone returned to school except Davina and Adrian. They skipped the rest of the day, going their separate ways, but not before inviting me to a party tonight.

Davina said that since Clay's parents were out of town and Adrian's birthday had just recently passed, they wanted to throw him a late-ish birthday celebration. According to Rosie, his birthday was two days ago. Davina claimed it was a lowkey get-together, just close friends, so I thought Alex would be okay with it.

I sighed as I walked into my home and realized Alex wasn't in sight. Rosie dropped me off since Alex couldn't bother to get us phones.

"Alex?" I asked throughout the quiet house.

Daylight poured in through the living room and I walked over to the couch, throwing my bag on the gray cushions.

"Alex!" I shouted as I walked upstairs, hoping he was in his room with his earbuds in while working out like he typically did when he got off work.

Just then, I heard the front door downstairs open slowly. My breath hitched in my throat and I ran to my room, grabbing the pistol that I hid underneath my mattress still on the floor. I pressed my back against the wall and checked to make sure it was loaded. Bingo. Loaded. I peeked around the corner in both directions and saw it was clear. I heard footsteps walking around downstairs and my heart began thundering, adrenaline coursing through my blood. I pressed my back against the half-wall that connected to the stairs. I peeked down and glimpsed a black hooded figure with their back turned towards me rummaging through the kitchen drawers while muttering profanities beneath their breath.

I tiptoed down the carpeted staircase. Thank God this wasn't a cliché moment where the steps would creak and I would get caught and immediately die.

I aimed my gun at the figure, then clicked the safety off. It was a near-silent click, but the tall figure immediately stood straight, and in one swift movement, they drew a gun from the front of their waistband and I ducked. I rolled behind the couch and kept crouched down.

I heard their safety click and took that chance to jump up and sprint against the kitchen wall before they could get their shot in. Just before I shot the person in the face, they spoke.

"Whoever you are, I'm not afraid to kill you and I'm not afraid to die. Can you say the same?" Alex.

"It's me," I walked in front of him and he realized it was just me, his regular ole' baby sister. Both of us released a breath we didn't even realize we were holding at the time. We both laid our guns down after clicking the safety back on, and I ran into his arms.

"Good first day, Tiana?" Alex said teasingly, long arms wrapping around my shoulders.

"Shut up, Alex." I jibed and he chuckled.