37

Riley

I woke up to see dead bodies all around me, the same little girl that I pinky promised standing in their place, holding a gun in her hands. She was shaking and tears poured out of her eyes as she whimpered. She looked at me as she sobbed and she ran towards me, wrapping her arms around my neck as I sat up.

"I thought you were dead!" She sobbed and my heart throbbed.
What did she do? She couldn't have done much, she doesn't look a day over ten.

"Sweetie, what happened? Can you tell me?" I asked softly, brushing a piece of her dark brown hair out of her face.

She was small, really skinny. Her dark brown hair reached her middle back, it was currently pulled back into a loose braid. She had dark brown eyes that were full of sadness and small pink lips. Her very tan skin had bruises and dirt all over it, splotches stained her cheeks from her tears. She had on a black, poofy skirt and a long-sleeved pink shirt that was now ripped and dirty.

"None of them made it." She whispered and I cocked an eyebrow in confusion.

"Who's they?" I asked and she sniffed, a lone tear slipping down her cheek. I reached my thumb up to wipe it and she rested her cheek in my hand afterward.

"The k-kids. This man was down there and he killed them... I hid from him and he... he climbed up the ladder to get away.." She cried and I felt nauseous from what she told me.

She was so young, but she's experienced so much pain already.

"I.. I ran back and I saw that mean man push you and you didn't wake up. I was so mad.. you tried to save me, you're not mean! So... I grabbed the gun that papá taught me to use and I killed them before they killed you!" She sobbed loudly and I sat up on my knees, pulling her into my embrace as she wept on my shoulder.

After a few moments, she pulled away and wiped her nose on her sleeve, "Mamá and papá died."

"Died?" I asked, treading carefully and she sniffled, sobbing a cry before continuing.

"That mean man with the blonde hair shot mamá in front of papá and then he killed him." She sniffled and a tear slipped out of my eye for this little girl.

"Do you have anyone else you can go to? Abuelos? Tias o tios?" I asked and she shook her head. ( Grandparents? Aunts or uncles?)

"No... mis padres eran todo lo que tenía..." She sniffled and I swallowed the lump in my throat. (No... my parents were all I had.)

"Just stay with me, okay? Thank you for saving me... what's your name?" I asked and she smiled up at me through her watery eyes.

"I'm Alejandra Sanchez... my friends call me Allie. You can too." She said and I grinned at her.

"You have a very pretty name, Allie. My name is Riley!" I said and she smiled.

"You have a pretty name too. Riley, am I going to die?" She asked sadly and I frowned.

"You're safe so long as you're with me, you got that?" I asked and she nodded as I stood up. She gripped my hand tight and I smiled down at her as I looked on the floor for my earpiece. I finally found it and put it in, clicking the communication button.

"Riley! Where the hell are you?" Lorenzo yelled and I sucked in a deep breath.

"I'm still down here. I got into a... a little altercation. I'm fine now." I whispered and I heard him groan.

"Dante went looking for you with Rosie." Lorenzo said and just as he said that I heard voices behind Allie and I. I picked her up and scurried in the prison cell room, shutting the door and locking it behind us in case it wasn't Dante and Rosie.

I clicked the end button on the earpiece and sat Allie down. That's when it happened. I looked up...
Oh, how I wish I didn't look up. My heart is breaking and I can't seem to swallow the lump in my throat.

  Clay and Xavier are sleeping on the hard, cold floor in the cell. Their faces were almost unrecognizable. I only recognize Clay because of the mole on his ear and his sandy brown hair. I only recognize Xavier because of his black hair and the scar on his neck from where he cut it on a limb after falling off of his bike.

  "No.." I whisper, not trusting my voice.

  Tears slipped out of my eyes, silently falling on the floor as I took in their condition.  They were dirty, dirt covering them from head to toe. They were both in hospital gowns, blood and dirt soaking them. Their faces were littered in bruises, scars, and fresh cuts. I could see the hollows of their cheeks from how much weight they've lost. I stood up and raced over to the cell door, trying to open it. But much to my dismay, it didn't budge,

"Fuck!" I yelled as I punched the cell and I immediately regretted it.

"Riley, oh no! What happened to your leg?" Allie asked and I furrowed my brows as I looked down.

  My stomach churned at the sight of it, I had a chunk of skin loosely hanging off of my leg, blood soaked my leg, new and old. I was almost certain if I stuck my finger in the wound I would be able to touch my bone. I guess the rush of adrenaline has masked the pain, which I'm grateful for right now.

"I guess I cut it earlier, don't look at it please." I pleaded and she nodded.

"Who are they?" She asked as she pointed to Xavier and Clay.

  "The one with the brown hair is my friend, Clay. The other one is my brother, Xavier. They were kidnapped a while ago..." I trailed off and she nodded, understanding.

"We need to find the keys." She said and I agreed.
We looked around the room but didn't find anything. I sighed and looked out the peephole of the door, only to see Rosie and Dante standing there...

________
A/N: Are they alive? Will they make it? Please make sure to comment and vote! <3