47

Riley

"Oh my god. This is truly beautiful, Riley." Dante exclaimed.

"Sì, magnificent. You girls did an amazing job." Lorenzo agreed as the two men stared in awe at the Christmas decorations.

  It is now eleven o'clock at night on Christmas Eve and I had to get ready for my date with Dante. I have no idea what he has planned, he won't even give me a hint. All I know is I'm supposed to dress warm and casual.

"Riley picked out the blue bulbs, I think they're gorgeous." Davina said and I smiled.

"Where's Travis?" I asked.

"He's visiting AJ and C-"

She was cut off by my phone ringing. I held up and finger and answered it.

"Riley?" AJ asked.

"What's up?"

"Clay is awake! You have to come, he's asking about Xavier." AJ said and my mood instantly changed.

I hung up and looked at Dante who was looking at me with a worried expression.

"Clay's awake... he's asking about Xavier." I mumbled as I grabbed my purse and slipped my shoes on, walking towards the elevator.

Dante and Davina followed close behind, "Don't you think you should grab a jacket? It's really cold outside." Davina said and I shrugged.

"I'm already numb." I whispered as a tear fell and we pressed the lobby button.

*~*

"Oh my God, Clay!" Rosie yelled as she ran in his room and threw her arms around him.

He looked tremendously better since he was in Russia. His bruises were almost all gone and his weight was back. He looked healthy. He looked sane. He looked... alive.

  "I missed you all so much!" He said with a goofy grin and Davina smiled as she hugged him as well.

  "It's good to see you, man. You look good." Dante complimented and Clay nodded.

  "Yeah, it's a shame they took my fingers though. I'm just glad it wasn't from my dominant hand." He said goofily as he winked at Rosie and she blushed.

  "How did that even happen?" Travis asked and Clay thought for a moment.

"It was truly awful there. If you didn't abide by their every rule you got a punishment. Depending on how serious it was, you got a serious punishment. For example, if you talked back, you got whipped twice. If you didn't eat the tiny bowl of pig slop, you got your head cracked against the wall." He gulped before continuing as we all cringed and my eyes welled with tears thinking about how Xavier endured his last moments.

  "I made a crude comment about this guy's wife because he kept saying he was going to 'fuck my American bitch' so I lost a finger. Then when I screamed I lost another one. When I cussed him out I lost the third one. Xavier though... he got the worst of it." Clay shook his head and groaned.

  "Xavier kept trying to escape so they would take him into the experimental room and do surgeries on him to see if he would either live or die through them. It... It sucked. I was forced to stay awake so I could watch and listen to him scream. They did it all without anesthetics. He endured so much pain trying to escape. He killed one with his bare hands so they took his foot. They beat him black and blue-"

"Stop!!! Please just stop for fuck's sake!" I cut him off angrily as tears fell from my eyes and everyone looked at me with pity.

  "And stop looking at me like a starved orphan child!" I seethed and Dante put a hand on my back.

  "You heard her. Stop fucking talking about it and stop looking at her. It's Christmas Eve for fuck's sake. Be jolly or some shit." Dante ordered and everyone muttered 'yes boss.'

  "Where's Xavier? Can I see him?" Clay asked and I whimpered.

  "Are you okay, Riley?" Clay asked and I shook my head as I walked over next to him and sat on his hospital bed.

"We're going to give you guys some privacy. We'll be back soon." Dante announced and left the room after kissing my temple, everyone following him closely behind.

  "Xavier... he uh... he died last month." I said softly and Clay's face was struck with a look of horror.

  "Oh my- no." He whispered as a few tears slipped out.

  "He had bleeding on the brain and they couldn't control it." I said as I held back my tears and comforted Clay.

   "I'm so sorry... I tried to help him, but he just... he wanted so badly to get back to you, Riley. He stayed up praying every night that you would be okay...  H-He truly was the best brother ever..." He sniffled as he grabbed my hand and I smiled at him.

  "I know.. he was. He always thought about me before himself." I admitted and Clay rubbed circles on my hand for comfort.

"You guys were soulmates. I know people think that soulmates are only romantic, but fuck that logic. You and Xavier were soulmates. Everyone wants that bond you guys had. Riley, he loved the shit out of you, you know that, right? Even afterlife, he'll always watch over you." Clay said seriously and I couldn't keep the tears from falling now. It's like someone opened the waterworks gate and they kept pouring freely.

  "Thank you so much, Clay. I'm so glad you got the chance to get to know him, even if it was over terrible circumstances. Thank you." I sniffled and be pulled me in for a hug.

  "I'm so proud of you, you saved me and him. I don't know if I could've done it honestly. If it weren't for you, I don't know if I would even be here anymore. Dimitri Sokolov is one cruel motherfucker." Clay said with anger lacing his voice.

  "Once Christmas is over and we go back to Italy, I'm finding him and Lorenzo and I will personally make sure he's tortured ten times worse than he could've ever imagined torturing you and Xavier." I said and Clay nodded, looking at the clock.

  "Merry Christmas, Riley." Clay said with a smile and I sensed a hint of Xavier in him.

  Merry Christmas, bubba...

____________
A/N: Hope you guys liked this chapter! Please don't forget to comment and vote! 💛