9] A FEELING SHE DIDN'T LIKE

The room was eerily quiet but if she usually liked quiet, it seemed too much -or too little- for her now

Aside from the mumbling of Jack's lips as he slept the pain away, Hope could only hear footsteps approaching.

''How is he?'' Castiel asked once he stood directly behind the girl. She cast a look to the boy's face but her eyes couldn't help but wander to the blood stains on his shirt.

''I don't know.'' Hope simply answered while her hand stayed on the side of Jack's bed. Her eyes had kept on flickering back and forth to his own hands, resting on his stomach, but she'd always fought the urge to grasp them in her own.

Meanwhile, Castiel's own eyes set from the back of the girl's head to the boy, who had his eyelids shut.

Hope had been in the room with him every step of the way but now that the angel's attempts at healing the boy of whatever illness he suffered had all failed, he didn't know how long she could stand staying here.

''Dean and Sam are just out the door. You should go with them.'' Castiel proposed when he heard a sniffle before him.
A single tear had slipped from Hope's eyes but she continued to stare at the boy anyway. Her thumb caught it quickly before it could stream lower but she nodded and reluctantly took her stare off of Jack as she left the room.

Castiel didn't know what else to say as he stayed back and tried yet again to help, only for him to spit out more blood.

Hope closed the door on her way out and as promised, the brothers were standing in the hallway.

''So? Is he okay?'' Sam asked and she had to hold herself back from jumping into the arms of this stranger. She wouldn't cry before them.
But even Dean, of all people, had already noticed her bloodshot eyes. He lowered his own when her palm wiped at her cheek.

''I don't think so,'' Hope said this time as she looked around the deserted hallway. ''Where's JP?''

''He went looking for Darren,'' Sam answered immediately and crossed his arms. ''All the other hunters are on cases.''

''The kids?'' Hope asked again and she leaned back against the wall, almost as if she couldn't support her own weight any longer.

''With Charlie in Missouri,'' Dean was speaking now, ''We didn't want them to see him like this.''

Like this, meant dying; and a part of Hope -if not all of her- knew it.

At last, Castiel left Jack's room and entered the hallway before he closed the door behind him. The girl's legs felt heavier than usual and suddenly, all her body weight was supported by the wall behind her, further proving the theory above.