11] HOPE FOR THE HOLIDAYS

The kitchen was overly quiet if it wasn't for the crisps and munches his mouth let out every time he bit into one of them

The white liquid he had poured into the recipient earlier seemed the sweetest it could get with how the cookies had lashed their sugar in.

The girl was just arriving, in the kitchen as well, even this late in the night.
She hadn't even bothered cleaning up the almost made nougat but in her defense, her talk with JP had been long.

When she walked in the room, Dean was no longer where she'd left him. Instead, Jack was.

The lights were switched on suddenly and the boy looked up from the cereal box. His teeth caught a cookie and stopped munching altogether but the bits stuck in one part of his cheek so he resembled an overfed squirrel.

''Don't... tell... Sam,'' Jack's eyes immediately caught sight of Hope as she took her hair tie off her hair, only to put it back in moments later in a freshly made bun.

''I won't.'' She assured and her legs marched her off to the counter.

Jack followed her movements with his eyes but didn't even stare at her bare legs, something so... pure -somehow- that Hope had grown used to.

When she reached the counter though, her legs stopped and she looked around.
The ingredients were still there but the mixture in the bowl seemed halfway through already.
She was so sure she'd made more.

''Did you...'' She turned around with the bowl in hand and Jack looked up at her from his own, his cheek, still as full as earlier. ''Eat this?''

Her frown deepened when the boy's eyes darted between the bowl and her face but he nodded, alas.

''Yes.'' A small frown appeared on his face too and he dropped the spoon to join his hands on the table.
''Did I do something wrong?'' He asked as he looked back to her face and swallowed.

''No,'' She breathed out her answer and put the bowl back on the counter before marching over to him. Her legs carried her to the spot just beside him on the bench and she sighed while burying her face in her hands, rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

''Are you okay?'' Jack asked over his bowl as he cast her a look.
He was literally the one who'd just risen up from the dead, dealing his soul in the process -sort of- yet he was the one asking how she was doing.

''Fine,'' She managed to croak out and her palms dropped on the table before she looked back to him. ''Tired, is all.''
She hadn't had much sleep at all in the past few days but now that Jack was alive and well, her mental clock should reset itself soon but right now, her eyes cast downward to the bowl and a frown etched her features.

''Do you want some?'' Jack answered as his hand caught the spoon again.
Hope nodded after a minute but when he moved his spoon to the side -to feed her himself, no less!- she'd already stretched out her fingers and a drawer slammed open beside the counter.