10] MOM, THIS IS HOPE

Jack had arisen from slumber earlier than anyone expected, but even more surprising, Hope was in the room before anyone else

The brothers had moved him back to his own bedroom and as it was the first time that Hope had ever been there, she couldn't help but examine it.
It was almost as bland as hers, if it wasn't for a prettier touch of paint on the walls and a framed picture on his bedside table.

''May I?'' She looked to the boy, still lying on his bed and unfortunately, breathing through an oxygen mask when his many fits of coughs allowed.

Jack nodded over the hand that pressed the mask to his face and Hope reached out for the picture.
She sat on the side of the bed, her legs dangling off of it.

The woman was smiling at the camera and although she stared into those blue eyes longer than she should have been, Hope instantly felt jealous of her. She was smiling, happy and gleeful because as far as she was concerned, Jack wasn't dying.

''Is that your mom?'' The girl asked after a minute of silence that was only cut through with the ragged breathing behind her.

Once again, Jack nodded at her and even though Hope was facing away from him, he could catch her reflection on his mother's face. She was smiling.

''She's beautiful,'' She breathed out and put the frame back on the bedside table. ''You look a lot like her.''

Jack doubted that it was true. Because if he'd ever have Kelly's beauty, he'd never have so much as a bit of her kindness, courage or even toughness.

''I'm sorry,'' A crooked breath behind her sounded and the girl immediately felt alarmed when she looked back to his face. Alas, he pushed her hand away when she tried to put the mask back on his face.

''For what?'' She gave up at last and propped her left leg on the bed so she could see him better.

''For everything,'' Jack's eyelids felt heavy all of a sudden but he didn't cower. Instead, he fought to keep them open and the mask by his side. ''For taking your soulmate away from you. Your happiness,''
Hope's head went down at his words and her hand found the comforter to linger there. Jack was such a sweet kid and fairy tales only had taught him that love, no matter what kind, brought happiness.

''Castiel said that when one soulmate dies, the other stays alone. I don't want that to happen to you.'' He continued to croak out from his deathbed, catching the glances the girl sent sideways to him.

Castiel had effectively told Jack that once a soul bond was broken, the parts took time to adjust.
They'll eventually find love again if they so choose but it just... won't be who they were meant to be with.

''I talked to Castiel too,'' Hope started as she patted the blanket beside Jack's pillow, ''He also said that kind of bond takes a while to break.'' She assured as she finally looked back to the boy and he nodded weakly.