13] SOME NEW OLD THINGS

A knock on the door interrupted Hope

Thoughts ran ten miles an hour in her head but her hands reacted quickly, pushing everything away and the bag under her bed.

''Come in.'' Her voice rose above the door and Dean walked in.

''Hey, kid,'' He walked in the room, his flannel shirt floating in thin waves around him and his shoes hitting the cold floor in a way that would send a demon trembling.
His eyes stopped at the shelf behind the blonde when he came to a stop before her.

''Nice.'' He tilted his head to the snow globe that stared back at him, making him even more uncomfortable than the real Castiel did most of the time.

She didn't need to cast a look behind her to know where his eyes were but she sulked in internally at the thought.
Her hands got busy folding the jacket she still had in her hands.

''You wanted something?'' She put it down on the bed and got busy with another cloth that lay there, almost never looking up to Dean's eyes as she stood.

''Nah, I'm just going into town,'' He started while his eyes scrutinized the girl.
He'd already apologized for the way Michael had been a little too flirty with her and she'd accepted it without even thinking twice about it.

''You need anything?''
There was a slight chuckle at the end that clearly didn't fit the tone of his sentence. That, at least, got her to look up.

When Dean stared back, he found nothing but a puzzled expression on the blonde's face.

''No.'' She assured and the item of clothing in her hands stopped moving about as she stared at the man.

He sent her back a smile and she almost let it go but her puzzled face became all the more puzzled when the Dean Winchester, the man who'd been to Hell and back, reached out and wrapped his arms around her.

He was embracing her in a hug, but his hands stayed pressed firmly against her back -otherwise she could have thought that Michael was back after all.

Hope stood there, her arms trapped between Dean's chest and hers as she fumbled with the cloth in her palms.

The hug lasted a second and Dean pulled back at last, tugging at a strand of her hair lightly when he did so.

''Take care, kiddo.'' He had both hands on her shoulders now and he looked back to her with that infamous half smile of his, but Hope's frown never seemed to falter, even when she answered.

''You too?'' It came out sounding like a question but her mind was almost blank at the moment.

Perhaps he'd discovered her schemes. Perhaps he knew what she was doing just now. If so, was he... bidding her farewell?

''Yeah, that's the whole point.'' His eyes found the floorboards for a minute before he brought his hands up and pointed two fingers at her.
''You got it, champ!'' He tried a strained smile but he wasn't that good of an actor and he seemed to know it because he immediately dropped his hands.