18. Cactus

Trigger warning: This chapter deals with heavy issues like death

____

"What were the other antagonists like?"

His mouth felt dry.

Memories started floating to the surface, pushing to break through the thin wall containing them. "Huh, so Aidyn told you," N noted, head leaning against the back of the chair. "Well, we went through so many antagonists that it's hard to choose just one."

[Name] could feel the strain in his voice; every emotion attempting to hide behind a false sense of happiness. Had her predecessors really affected him? Would she be the same and hurt the people she loved? To [Name], sharing was beautiful; it was a form of expressing yourself with confidence, without reservation, and without filters. However, being forced to share was ugly. It leaves you unwillingly exposed as the world perversely stares. [Name] despised that feeling. It was like jumping into a puddle with socks on: uncomfortable and disgusting. She vowed to never let someone else experience the same anguish she had once felt. So, when the antagonist noticed the small gestures N exhibited, [Name] knew she shouldn't have pushed him. "Ah. You don't have to tell me, N! It's totally fine!"

"No, no, it's okay! I promised you, after all!" N gave a bittersweet smile, wistfully attempting to blink away the nostalgia, "who would you like to know about?"

The girl peered into his emerald-colored eyes, searching for any sign of lying or unease, but his eyes were clear. N was just too nice to her. "Whoever you're comfortable talking about," [Name] spoke in what she hoped was a comforting tone. To be honest, [Name] could never be Lumi, but, hey, it's never too late to become a butterfly and metamorphosis into a warm soft boi.

N took a deep breath, shut his eyes and blocked out the world around him. His mind spun as he attempted to remember the antagonist before [Name]...

_____

The door in front of her would be the end of her. It was simple, not even eye-catching, but Brittany could help steal a glance every time she scuffed past it. The fourteen cacti stickers— each one unique to the other— decorating the door gave the door a personality Brittany found absolutely adorable. Even the mini knife sticker couldn't stop the swell of happiness she was feeling.

"Merde, Je vais vraiment ce faire**," she mumbled, feet planted before the closed door. The antagonist was so close, she could count each individual thorn. Sweat clung to her manicured hands. She had meticulously planned for this day for so long, even to go so far as to skip her antagonist duties. She even read an internet guide because she was just that stressed.

Today, on the fourth of April, would be the day Brittany would confess to Essi.

Brittany was a woman of pure stereotypes: tanned skin, blonde, and a body of a barbie doll. She was the embodiment of the 'popular' antagonist look.