19. Rain

Previously on OMtPH:

"She slut-shames other girls."

"If the protagonist hears the cold, hard truth, they will have an....existential crisis."

"We can't do anything about it," Aidyn bitterly spat. "We exist to live in people's stories and make their main character 'happy.' We don't serve any other purpose. If they're happy with their cliches, then that's that. End. Of. Story."

"We've had other antagonists before you. Countless. Do you know what they have in common? They all went insane— sick of their role. Every single one of them pulled the same, exact stunt as you."

"What were the other antagonists like?"

The boy in front of her was a strong man— a man who was willing to be vulnerable and have the courage to open himself to the world.

And what was she? An absolute coward.

But, she was willing to be a coward for the people she loved.

[Name] came to the conclusion, for all the reasons in this godforsaken world...

To get rid of her dream.

"Of course."

_____

"How are we gonna get to school now?" Sei sighed aloud the following day, showing a perplexed expression on his face as he attempted to observe the outside world through the fogged window. There was a wall of water in front of him, distorting the outside landscape into a blurry, watery mess. Showers and showers fell in buckets, never seeming to stop. The sky appeared to be crying.

Currently, everyone was quarantined inside their dingy house waiting for the rain to let up and allow them safe passage to the school. Apparently, someone forgot to set the alarm, so they were "skipping" the first thirty minutes of school (turned out Essi was in charge of the alarm but no one could really blame Essi even if they wanted to). The harsh rain pelting the window would've been no problem if they were at work, but they were still inside the house.

Missing thirty minutes was fine— no problem at all— but Mother Nature decided to be so terribly kind and barricade them inside their shabby house for two whole hours.

"I believe there's a thing called an 'umbrella,' dear Sei," Nari picked at his nails.

Sei shot Nari an expression that could only be called exasperation as he mocked, "'tHeRe'S a tHinG cAllEd aN UmbRellA.' Do you see how thick the rain is, dear Nari." The green-haired boy swung open the front door, revealing a literal waterfall.

A loud snort could be heard from across the room. "Thicc," Keo mused aloud. He couldn't help himself—it was practically begging him to say the word.