23. Wedding

Her eyelashes fluttered to a blinding light

Her eyelashes fluttered to a blinding light. The smell of antiseptics and Yankee Candle burned her nostrils. The room was a plain white— whether it was tranquil or uneasy, she did not know. All the antagonist focused on was moving her numb fingers. Her thumb was the first to break from its frozen prison, and, eventually, [Name] regained movement in her hand.

"Congrats on not dying," A figure commented, sitting in a chair directly across from the antagonist. His legs were crossed, and his head was propped up by his arm. Boredom twinged his tone. "I didn't know you had it in you."

Everything was still blurry, and her head pounded. "Are you my sleep paralysis demon?"

"How. Rude." Ah, that familiar high pitched voice. How could she forget about Aidyn, certified bastard?

"W-what happened?" [Name] glanced around in a daze while struggling to sit up. Colorful get-well gifts brightened the monochromatic room. Flowers that encased the ocean's beauty were seated beside her pillow, and aromatic candles burning a fiery ember rested in the corner. Of course, the most noteworthy were the personalized gifts from the guys: a self-defense book from Leo, a tray of Oreos from N, a potted succulent from Essi, and more. They brought a sense of home to this foreign room.

"Orae happened." A bitter resentment replaced the boredom. "Don't you hate it when your past employee is still being a pain in the ass even after being fired?" Aidyn rambled to seemingly no one. The light illuminated his figure, and the light breeze drifted lazily into the room. Despite the overwhelming smell of chemicals, there was a sweet undertone in the air. It was a little flowery, yet a little sugary. If she had to name it, the scent would be candied rose.

"What are you talking about, Aidyn? Where's everyone? The last thing I remember is Crystal sta—" Memories of the plan, getting stabbed, and Orae saving her flooded her mind. Unconsciously, [Name] glanced down at the pure white bandages wrapping her abdomen like slithering snakes. Surprisingly, it didn't hurt— just numb. Still, the images of the incident stuck to mind like that one stubborn sticker you placed on your table in second grade and still can't take off. Even if she were to pick it off, the white residue would remain. "Oh my God, where's Crystal?! Is Leo safe?!"

Aidyn stood up and grabbed a candy beside her and proceeded to unwrap it as if purposefully ignoring her inquiries. "You did the right thing—" [Name] didn't feel like she did the right thing, "—and you're pretty lucky to not be dead. Antagonists like you rarely escape the fate set by the blacklist."

"Blacklist?" The girl heard that word get thrown around frequently. All she knew was its infamy.

Instead of answering her question, Aidyn gave a vague shrug and said, "maybe they'll give you a second chance if you comply with their every command." He popped the candy into his mouth, letting the dark chocolate melted in his mouth like a sinful treat.

A dove landed on the window sill and hopped around curiously.

A ghost of a smile graced Aidyn's face. "The wedding is happening right now."