Chapter 16: "Secrets Unfolded"

"I just have to ask... did you dream last night?" Compter asks, as Venatte sits on her usual seat. Her back straight, her chin up, she looks as though she's in a very formal meeting.

"I'd rather not, to be honest with your soul." Venatte sighs. "It just showed me memories I've spent with Cordis." She grunts.

"Well you seem annoyed though... I guess that's something..." Compter teases.

"If that is how your human mind would like to see it, I think it can be considered as so." She replies eyes staring straight at the board.

"Is this how having no emotion really like? You're so formal... it's like you're well as they said yesterday a corpse."

Venatte just nods firmly, not turning her head. She didn't even bother to look at Cordis' seat which was vacant.

"Okay..." Compter sighs. "Well, as we planned. Later at lunch we'll talk to Tentorie and ask for help." He sits back, as their teacher greets them, in a very gloomy state.

The air felt thick and heavy. The teacher looked pale and her eye had dark circles around them as if she didn't sleep the night before. Time went by really slow, the only thing that everyone looked forward to was lunch time, and getting Venatte's emotions back.

Venatte sat at Hara's table still, along did Compter and Fenton.

"So I guess you know the truth now?" Hara sarcastically asks Compter as he sits down.

"What truth?" Compter plays innocent.

Hara pulls down the collar of his shirt showing his mark.

"truth about your tatoo?" Compter plays on raising one eyebrow.

"Enough games Compter, everything a suasor sees gets revealed by the elders and we all saw what our princess here." he nods to Venatte "has done."

"Is there a problem with that?" Compter asks. "I don't see a reason why I'd be in trouble for it."

"relax all you want you gay ass, Venatte's father is not happy with what his daughter has done, and if he could take Venatte's soul he can also take yours." Hara growls.

"Okay... May I ask where's Jouet?" Fenton butts in changing the subject.

"Took her own life... I think you should've heard by now, since teachers here are helping out with her funeral." Hara says blandly. "Pretending that they care." he scoffs.

"Took her own life?" Fenton's lips tremble. "but isn't she... like your..."

"Never was. Tell you a secret, suasors are just souls who don't possess real emotions. If one of the puppets you've persuade, took their life, that can be your biggest achievement yet." He grins evilly.

"You are an abomination!" Fenton yells standing up "she was our friend!" he screams at him

"If she were, why did you not know about her death?" Hara smirks.

"because..." Fenton sighs.

"I don't know if the secret about suasors have been told to you yet, but in case it haven't... your little girlfriend is one of us, and she did quite a great job distracting you and ruining you." Hara chuckles. "If it weren't for Venatte here, you'd be dead." he laughs.

"I'm done with you!" Fenton walks away as Compter stands up glaring at Hara.

"If it weren't for us you wouldn't have anything to report to your boss." he growls.

"A suasor's playground is the whole world, pretty boy. I'm not just limited to persuading you." Hara replies, sitting back.

"Venatte. We don't need this." Compter holds her wrist, pulling her up, as she simply obliges.