18

October 24, 2015

Jade is sitting on the living room couch at her father's house in London as James is busy making them both tea in the kitchen. She is dressed in a floral top and a formal blazer, ready to head out to a relative's wedding soon. Jade looks around the room. There are lots of photographs hanging on the walls, all of them of Jade, her brother and his family. These definitely are a nice decoration, but the house as a whole could not be defined pretty. Her father moved here after her parents' divorce, and without Norma in the house, James did not mind the design much. There are odd colour combinations and the furniture could use a renewal, but Jade loves her father for trying his best.

Unlike any of the other times Jade came to visit her father, she is nervous. Yesterday, Perrie and her have decided that it is okay to start telling people about their relationship. The reason behind this decision is that both of them feel quite lonely having to hide something so big from the people they love. They have agreed to tell close family and very close friends.

Jade does not get to see her father often. They might be living in the same city, but she is almost always working, and he is busy with his own life. This visit was scheduled months ago, and it is probably going to be the last time Jade and James get together in a while. Therefore, Jade decided to use today as an opportunity and tell her father about her relationship with Perrie. She stayed up last night wondering how she is going to approach this in the first place. She wants to be direct, but not too straightforward. It all needs to be balanced and go smoothly.

Last night was also the first time that Jade had given much thought to the fact that Perrie is of the opposite sex of Jade's past love interests. Jade always saw her girlfriend as nothing but Perrie, her best friend which she had known for years. This did not feel different from starting to want more out of any friendship, but when Jade had to make a plan regarding of how to tell her father, this became an issue. She knows that James will most likely accept whatever she tells him, but how will he truly feel about Jade dating a woman? Will he find it weird? Or uncomfortable?

This sent Jade into further speculation. What does dating Perrie say about her sexuality? Is Perrie an exception, or is it rather a late-blooming reoccurring pattern? And as for right now, does telling her father about Perrie also means coming out? If so, what is she coming out as? She does not even know herself.

"There," James says as he enters the living room with two cups of tea in his hands. He hands one to Jade before sitting on the loveseat. "So how are you, sweetheart? How are things going with work?" He asks while Jade takes a sip from her cup.

"Really great, actually," Jade replies and hugs the cup using her palms. "Everything's been hectic ever since the lead single's release, and that's good. It means that we're working hard, and I'm really hoping that it's going to pay off when the album is out. The perfume launch is in two days, and we're also going be flying out to America in the beginning of November. I'm really excited about that. This is going to be our biggest trip - we'll perform at The Ellen Show and Good Morning America, and the album release will be on our last night there."

"That sounds like a wonderful trip," James replies. "And how are your friends doing? How's Danielle? I haven't seen he in a while."

"Yeah, we both have such busy schedules and they never match. I barely see her, too, only in the evenings. But she's fine, she's doing alright," Jade answers with a small smile. She truly misses Danielle. They are still good friends, but it is not the same now that they are both so busy.

"And the girls from the group? Jesy, Leigh-Anne and Perrie, right? How are they?" James questions, and he unintentionally makes Jade's heart race. She knows that this is her chance, since Perrie's name was already brought up.