Chapter 5

Warning: This chapter contains domestic abuse. Read at your own risk!

Amari  POV

"Happy birthday baby! Oh my god!"

I lay sprawled in my bed, trying to hold back my giggles as mommy gasped and slapped a hand over her mouth.

Raven and I beamed at the sight of the she-wolf in the doorway of our bedroom so early in the morning.

"You've gotten bigger! I swear it!" She pointed at me, her mouth wide, her brown eyes even wider. "I don't even recognise you!"

I burst into giggles, proudly wiggling about on the bed. "I did mommy! Look!" I showed her my non-existant muscles, proudly flexing them the best I could.

I was tiny, scrawny and hadn't grown an inch since my birthday last year, or even the year before that. But every birthday, mommy made me feel like I'd grown mountains.

"Mommy guess what?"

"What bubba?" She happily came into my room, lying down on top of me and I giggled some more, wrapping my arms around her neck and pushing my fingers through her fro. "You gonna get a job now? Buy your mama a nice car?"

She brushed her nose up against mine, her hands playing with my curls. "I'm only seven now! I can't get a job yet!" I gasped. "But I did save up some money mommy. I can get you car if you really want one!"

"Oh, my handsome baby!" she kissed all over my cheeks and I laughed. "You look after me so well."

I blushed happily. "I do mommy. When I'm a big big boy, I'll buy us a house with a swimming pool and you can have ten cars and we can even get a cat!"

"A cat?!" She laughed. "You want a cat Mari? Really?"

"Yes mommy! A nice big, fat cat! With white fur and pretty eyes!"

"Okay baby. We can get a cat, you weird and funky werewolf," she laughed, teasing me with more kisses to my face. I beamed up at her.

Mommy's dark skin was so pretty. She had the biggest brown eyes and when she smiled, she looked like a Queen. But I loved her hair the most! Mommy had a massive afro! It was soft and bouncy and I loved to hide things in there, especially my hands.

I was so happy I looked more like mommy than daddy. My daddy was good looking but he didn't have a kind heart. My mommy was beautiful inside and out.

"Hey," Mommy cooed at me softly, frowning when I turned to look up at her with watery eyes. "What's wrong sweetheart? I don't want to see tears on your birthday."

"I had my birthday wish already," I sniffled, a little worried she'd be mad I didn't wait for my cake.

"You did? What did you wish for?" She brushed my curls back off my face and I leaned into her touch.

"I w-wished for a new family."

She stiffened, her eyes pained. But she nodded in understanding. "Did the moon goddess answer you bubba?"

"No," I shook my head sadly and Raven whimpered in sadness too. "I told her that daddy is so mean to us. I told her that uncle Kaleb is horrible too. But she didn't listen to me."

"I think she was listening," Mommy corrected, wiping away my tears. "She's very busy you know? There are lots of werewolves who are struggling in the world. She might have her hands full," Mommy told me softly.