Chapter 52

🤣🤣🤣

🤣🤣🤣

Amari POV

The months seemed to be flying by, scarily fast and before I knew it, my little newborns were crawling and trying solid foods for the first time.

They weren't so little anymore. Their new found mobility was making it harder to do a lot of things and admittedly, these were beautiful, but equally stressful times.

When Luka was busy and I had all five pups to myself, it was hard to keep in control. They were always sprinting off in different directions, looking for trouble.

Lumai and Kuma had this little teamwork sub unit going on. When one found trouble, the other wasn't too far away. The pair of babies were always eating things they shouldn't be eating like cotton balls, yanking on things like the curtains, pulling clothes out the bottom draws, painting with nappy cream... the list went on.

I had to keep a hawk eye on them, but it was hard with the three others. Lili and Ari were more chill, but that didn't exclude them from indulging in their fair share of trouble. When they weren't crying, they were starting fights. Stealing each other's snacks, hair pulling, provoking Lumai by climbing into her crib at night.

And then there was Mika.

Mika was having me feeling all types of anxiety. He was struggling to keep up with his siblings and although it wasn't my other pups' faults, I found myself getting increasingly frustrated that they wouldn't wait up for him or when their games got a little too rough for his smaller frame.

He was late at crawling, late at growing, late at talking, late at most things and my heart was aching for him, especially when he got left behind.

However, Mika seemed happy enough and it didn't seem to bother him so much - I was glad.

Like yesterday, the eight month olds were climbing the stairs. I couldn't carry all five up at one time so I let them climb in front of me so they didn't fall. While Lumai, Ari, Kuma and Lili were easily shimmying their chubby selves up the steps, Mika sat at the bottom after failing the first step, watched his siblings climb and stuck his fist in his mouth without a care.

Part of me wanted to help him. Part of me was sad he'd given up so easily. The other part was trying to reassure myself that this was perfectly normal. Not all babies developed the same. He'd get the hang of it.

Luka had the same sort of mentality. He thought my worries were exaggerated. He made Mika do everything the others were doing. He wasn't soft on Mika like I was, but he wasn't harsh either. When Mika had enough, Luka didn't push him. 

Today was a new day and I was waking up to sunlight streaming in through the windows which was strange because I closed the curtains before I fell asleep.

I rubbed at my eyes and slowly sat up. The curtains started jiggling and my eyes followed the movement down to the floor. Lumai sat with her tiny hands clasped around the fabric. She bounced on her diaper padded bottom, dressed in her light blue pyjamas. Her wild, golden curls were all over the place and her pretty brown eyes were focused as she yanked.