Chapter 26

Amari POV

"I-I want my mommy."

The large man let out a soft sigh. He did it everytime I asked the same question. It was a sad sigh. I could tell by the way his forehead wrinkled and his lips turned down.

His name was Nick. He was nice but not as nice as mommy. He was very big and tall and quite scary. He reminded me of daddy. This man was an alpha too. I didn't want to stay with him. I wanted to stay with my mommy.

I was finding it hard to accept that she was really dead. I knew she was dead because I heard her screaming and crying that night. I know she's dead because she never came back to get me. I know she's dead because Nick tells me the same thing everytime I ask for her.

"Amari, pup I cant bring her back," he whispered softly, crouching to my level.

Nick had blue eyes and golden hair which wasn't brown but wasn't blonde either. He had a big beard too. He was always smiling but even his smiles weren't enough to cheer me up.

"Please," I begged, feeling tears well up in my eyes. "I'll do anything."

I'll sell all my toys. I'll even do naughty things if I have to. Anything to have her back.

"If it was that easy, I'd of brought her back already," he gave me a sympathetic smile. "Let's get you back in bed."

He scooped me up easily with his big arms. I felt little when mommy held me, but when Nick held me, I felt tiny. It made me tremble a little against his muscles. Nick stroked my back and I yawned against his shoulder. All the crying I'd done today made me tired.

But I'd been having nightmares ever since I'd got here. I didnt really want to sleep alone.

"Can I sleep with you?" I asked shyly, whispering against his ear. He was scary, but I'd rather sleep next to him then in my room all alone with the scary shadows.

Nick chuckled softly. "Of course pup."

"Thank you," I muttered in reply.

He carried me towards his room and set me down on the bed after shutting the door behind him.

I watched the alpha strip out of his day clothes and into pyjamas. He then sat on the bed next to me before tugging me into his lap.

"I know this is hard Amari. I can't bring your mom back as much as I want to," he sighed, running his fingers through my hair. "We don't know each other well yet and I know you're scared. But I can promise you that I'm not going to hurt you. We're going to start a new family now okay? Me, you, Luka and the pack. We won't forget your mommy, but you have to understand that things are going to be different and we can't change that."

I lowered my gaze, feeling the familiar sting of tears in my eyes. In other words - mommy is dead and never coming back so I have to be part of his family now.

"Dont cry pup," the alpha tutted fondly, swiping his big thumbs beneath my eyes. "Be strong, you'll get through this."

I wasnt so sure. I wasnt big or strong like him. I always had my mommy to protect me and now she was gone.