Chapter 28

A/N: Hey, back again. Happy Monday! Back to school sucks so have a nice chapter! 🌅 Just a quick reminder again that I'm too lazy to write up separate character wolves for each of my side characters so that's why Nick's isn't mentioned 👌

Anyway, enjoy! 😘💕

Nick POV

I knocked once on the door, taking a deep breath before pushing it open. It was dark inside, the only visible light from the moon peeking through the curtains on the far wall.

I stepped inside, wondering if she was asleep, but the small sniffles and the shaking coming from beneath the duvet on the large bed, gave me my answer.

She didn't move, although I'm sure she heard me enter. I closed the door behind me and let out a sigh of regret. I hadn't meant to expose her like that to Amari. I didnt think before I spoke, I'd just been so livid with her.

I was angry at myself for keeping this a secret for so long, angry for not pushing her to leave that piece of scum mate of hers. Angry because both her and Amari were hurting and there was nothing I could do.

I was full of mixed emotions, most of them bad and I had unfairly taken it out on her. It was true I told her not to come here. But yet again, that was derived from the rage I felt at her decision.

I walked forward and sat on the bed, gently reaching out to pull the covers away from her face. It was hard to make her out in the dark, but I could just about see her mocha skin and big hair under the soft moonlight.

"I'm sorry," I muttered, feeling it necessary to apologise for what I said. I'd been avoiding this for two days, yet she'd been in hiding ever since. The same with Amari and Luka.

"It doesn't matter," she whispered. "He hates me anyway." Her shoulders rose and fell with each shaky breath she took.

"I dont think he hates you," I disagreed, running my hand up her arm. She was like skin and bone beneath my fingertips. The urge to strap her to a chair and force feed her a nutritious meal overwhelmed me. I unconsciously tightened my grip on her arm, shaking my head to force those thoughts away.

"Despises me? It's all the same. I let him down and he wont give me the time of day," she shrugged, though I could tell this was eating her up from the inside out.

"That's not exactly true is it? Have you even tried talking to him? I swear I haven't seen you leave this room," I told her pointedly. If she wanted to win Amari back, she had to put some effort in.

After everything she did, she couldn't just waltz back into his life and expect him to accept her straight away.

"You've given up."

"I gave up ages ago. When I realised I made the wrong decision. When I got pregnant and I couldn't come back. When I realised it was too late, I gave up," her voice quivered and I knew that if I could see her face in proper lighting, her cheeks would glisten with tears.

"Why did you choose him?" I asked the question I'd always wanted to know. Everytime I went to visit her after Amari came to live with me, we'd been too busy arguing and yelling at each other to sit down and talk about things.