Chapter 49

Amari POV

I knocked on Tao's bedroom door softly, biting my lip as I waited for a reply from the older male. It was about two in the afternoon and he wasn't in his office so I hoped he was inside. Training had finished this morning so I knew he wasn't busy.

I rubbed my heavy belly which was bound in this pregnancy strap thing I didn't know the real name of. It was to help with the now unbearable weight of my huge stomach.

I was officially into month three, about a week over now and to be perfectly honest... I was tired. As terrified as I was, I didn't know how much longer my body could take the strain of carrying these growing pups, and I was ready to get them out.

I'd been bed bound for the longest time, but I really wanted to check on Tao, despite feeling like absolute shit. It took me twenty minutes of negotiating with Luka before he agreed to let me out of the little nesting situation we'd set up in our room. Even then he was still pissed off that I wanted to talk to Tao alone without him there.

I looked back down the corridor and my mate was standing there like a demon, his eyes narrowed on me, his cheeks tinted pink. He was mad but I didn't care. He'd get over himself. The over protective daddy bear had to let me breathe. I was with Tao, I was perfectly safe without him holding my hand.

Finally, after what seemed like an age locked in an intense staring competition with Luka, Tao's door finally opened. He was wearing a white shirt and black shorts that hugged his muscular body nicely, showing off his strong, lean, shape.

He frowned tightly down at me and I could tell he was stressed out. It made me feel even better about hauling myself out of bed to come see him. I didn't want him to feel like he was alone.

His mate was meant to be visiting the pack today finally. Everyone was looking forward to meeting the mysterious man Tao had kept hidden for weeks. But I knew this was going to be challenging as hell for him and I didn't want him to feel like he was alone.

"Amari?" He asked in confusion, tilting his head down at me. "Are you okay?"

"Fine thank you. My legs are about to give out though. Can I come in?" I asked hopefully. He nodded quickly, hopping to the side with a curse.

I smiled, limping inside, holding onto the door frame for support and then letting it go as I made my way over to his bed.

"Uhhh, Luka..." Tao stuck his head out the door with a frown.

"Ignore him," I waved his concern away. Luka could come get me later after he stopped crying.

"Right," Tao murmured, closing the door softly. "Are you comfortable enough? I have some more pillows..."

"I'm okay," I patted the spot next to me and he walked over, sitting beside me. I gripped my heavy stomach, rubbing the bullet shaped bump as my pups wriggled about inside me. There was always at least two of them moving at any one time.

"You know why I'm here. Talk to me," I encouraged gently, staring down at my pretty ring and not at him so he didn't feel uncomfortable.

Tao sort of slumped where he sat. He let out this defeated breath of air that made my heart ache for him. He really was having a tough time with this and I didn't know what to say to make it better.

"I messed up," he spoke after a while, his deep voice taking on this vulnerable tone I'd never heard before. I was so used to seeing him cool and collected that this Tao now was a shock to the system.

"What happened?" I reached out with one hand and rubbed his back to try and relax his tense body.

"I asked..." he clenched his fists. "I asked him not to touch me while we're here. I'm so confused Amari. I don't know if this is right or wrong but I'm just not ready for the stares and the questions. I don't want him to touch me like that while we're here. I don't want others to see what he does to me."