Chapter 46 - Ceremony Pt3

Amari POV

Tap. Tap. Tap.

I sat up slowly, pulling the woollen blankets tighter around my body as the noise filled the empty room. It sounded like a bird tapping on glass and my gaze went straight to the window on the far wall.

What I thought was a bird turned out to be a boy. A boy at the window. Confusion was the first emotion that hit me. Was he flying? How did he get up here?

But that couldn't be right because people couldn't fly. Was I dreaming?

I was frozen as I stared. The boy was grinning. He had hair that wasn't quite golden blonde or honey brown. It was kind of a mix of both, it was wavy and very messy. His skin was white and he had bright blue eyes. He looked a little bit older than me but not by much. There were patches of dirt on his face and he was wearing a creased, red shirt.

The boy waved his hand, motioning me towards the window. I didn't move, looking around me in confusion. Where was Nick? The larger than life male told me he'd be back soon. I felt wary without him here. I didn't know what to do.

This was a new place, a big place and I'd only been here for two days so far. The only person I'd come in contact with was Nick so without him here, I felt terrified.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

The boy was desperate to get my attention. He was still smiling as he tried to get me to come closer. In the end, curiosity made me move. I slowly crawled to the edge of the big bed and hopped down to the floor. I needed to understand how he got so high up.

Nick carried me up a few flights of stairs to get here to this room.

I slowly walked over to the window. The boy grinned, pointing at the latch. I flicked it timidly and he helped me open the window, pushing the heavy frame up.

Ah, now I understood. He had one foot on a swaying tree branch connected to a huge trunk that sprouted out the ground from a few meters away. His other foot barely found grip on the ridges of the bricks of the wall. His arms folded on the windowsill, holding his body up.

I felt sick when I looked down at the ground. How could he he so calm even though he was barely safe at all? He could fall and hurt himself.

"Hi, my name's Luka. What are you doing in my daddy's bedroom?" He stuck a hand out and I had to force myself not to reach out and pull him in. The fact that he was only holding on with one hand now was terrifying.

"Y-you should get d-down," I whispered quietly.

Luka shrugged, taking it upon himself to grab my hand since I didn't respond to his handshake. "I've done this a thousand times," he rolled his eyes with a peppy grin. "So, who are you?"

"Amari," I shook his hand briefly before tugging my trembling fingers back and looking at my feet. "I-I didn't know Nick w-was your daddy. I'm sorry..."