|Chapter Seventeen|

Not as surprising as one might think, Butters had forgotten all about Kenny's drunken confession and was slowly seeming to remember. At first, he panicked as he did before when the immortal confessed, but calmed down. It was a mistake, right? He'd just gotten hammered and Butters just happened to be the first person he saw!

But that made no sense. Although his words were not so romantic, they were genuine. Or at least genuine enough to rule out any possibility of his last theory. And Kenny did act strangely around him, definitely more open -if you could count what they had as "open"- than he was with some people he'd known for a much longer time.

And for his own sake, he steered clear of the "L" word. It was much too strong a feeling and much too difficult to feel in such a short amount of time. What had they done together? Cried together, complained together, got cocoa together, and even when to a prostitution house. Together. And what about that?

If Kenny was rejected, would he go back to the family he was so happy to give up before? Would be hurt by others or worse, hurt himself? Would he go back to prostitution? So many different ways things could go wrong and so many ways it could happen.

He was so worried about what might happen to Kenny that he forgot about himself. Did he like Kenny? Could he like Kenny? Being a natural optimist, he more than not thought a bit higher of people than others. This made it very confusing when he thought about romance and crushes. Love and shit. It all confused him greatly. So thinking about someone like that? Made his head spin.

Currently, they were at lunch, Kenny hovering by the trash cans waiting for someone to leave early. Most knew of Kenny's "situation" and let him have whatever was left on their plate. Sometimes Token would get lunch just to give to Ken. I guess that was one sweet thing that happened to Kenny on a semi-consistent schedule.

Butters was surprisingly bittersweet by Kenny's absence. It was nice to not be next to him when his thoughts were already filled with Kenny. That sounded more romantic than it was. If you'd like to know how it felt, imagine someone telling you a very upsetting and personal secret. You most likely wouldn't be able to stop thinking about it, or them either.

"Dude, you've been -ack- staring a-at you food for like -GAH-, forever man?" Tweek stuttered pointing to the other's tray. "Yeah. Eat, or let poor-boy eat it for you." Craig complained as his future husband poked his arm asking him not to make fun of other people.

The new kid didn't say anything but just blinked a few times. "O-oh, sorry feller I guess I just spaced out for a second," Butters said rubbing the back of his neck. Tweek gave a confused look to his friends before shrugging it off.

"If only I could have a surefire way to find out," Butters thought to himself. "If someone could just tell me what to do... What I can do..." His head hurt. His heart hurt. His eyes hurt from lack of sleep, and so did the rest of his body.

"You sure you're all right? When Clyde acts like that it means there's something on his mind or he's being a whiny baby and I won't buy him tacos." Token said nonchalantly. Clyde gave a look of disappointment and betrayal. "Yeah, I'm sure." Butters lied.

Clyde started to argue with his -secret- boyfriend. (Sorry, I made South Park a little less excepting so basically anyone who's not Tweek and Craig and in a homosexual relationship is pretty much secret except for a few people :P) "You guys are such p-"

"Craig!"

The group started a fight -as all friends do from time to time- and Butters, like always, was left out on the side. Sadly he got up to dump his tray forgetting for the time being about the friend he was trying to... figure out. Kenny's face lit up at the sight of the person he adored the most. "Hey!" His heart clenched at the sight of Butters. It seemed Butters had been ignoring him for most of the day. "How are you?"

"Just fine," Butters smiled shyly. "And you?" Kenny took the tray from the other's hand. "Better now that you're here. Also, I've been waiting for someone to have more than a few scraps of food on their plate." He chuckled and sat down next to the trash can.

He more than expected Butters to walk away -even if he didn't want him too-, so Kenny was more than surprised when the other sat right next to him. "Um, what are you doing?" He asked genuinely confused. "Well, fella, I'm sittin' next to my best friend!"

Best... Friend? Kenny's face suddenly became flushed. He wanted to ask if he meant it. If he really meant that much to someone so wonderfully amazing. "Oh." Was all he was able to spit out. "Y-you're welcome to take as much as you like. I mean, this is still your food and by the looks of it, you didn't eat very much."

"I'm fine, you need it more than I do feller," Butters said refusing Kenny's offer. "You sure?" Butters nodded letting his friend have it all. Kenny ate in silents, hoping somehow he'd get to make it up to the other before he'd be in debt to the new kid forever. "Butters," Kenny started between bites. "Can you tell me about your home? What it was like in Denver?"

"Huh?"

Kenny flushed. It was a stupid question with a stupid reason behind it. "W-well, I'm a little homesick and I thought maybe hearing about your home might make me feel better. I also thought maybe I'd get to know you better..." He mumbled looking down.

The other was... happy that Kenny called Denver his home instead of his house in South Park a "home". It showed Kenny's considerate side. "You want to know about Denver?" Butters asked tilting his head just a bit. "Not really..." Kenny said swallowing another portion of food. "I just want to know about you. And Denver just happens to be a part of it. So are you going to tell me or not?"

"O-oh, sorry feller. Well, in Denver it wasn't as cold but I think that's true about anyplace compared to South Park. And the kids were nice enough, and certainly not as adult." Kenny laughed at Butters's comment. Of course, the kids were more adult. "I had a few friends. Noah, who would always make the best jokes, Jason, who could never remember things on time, and Tris, who had the most beautiful smile you'd ever seen."

Kenny's smile faded. He knew Butters didn't like it here but did he really feel that passionate about Denver? It was where he grew up but wasn't he happy here? In South Park? With him? And who exactly is Tris!? "Ken? You okay? You seem a bit... upset." Butters tried to comfort Kenny by wrapping his arms around the other boy's waist. "No, I'm good. Please continue." Butters shook his head no.

"I knew this was a bad idea. Look, if you're homesick we can stop by your..." Butters paused. Did Kenny still think of it as a home? "Old house and I could ask Karen to come out and see you again, okay?"

The thought of seeing Karen again did seem to make for a much better day. "Yeah, I'd like that." Kenny breathed out with a small smile. Butters was trying to make him happy. To take time out of his day and help Kenny. "And thank you, again for everything. It does mean the world to me..."

Butters pursed his lips into a slight frown but quickly covered it up. He knew Kenny wasn't lying and perhaps that was worse. Why? Because being with Kenny was starting to sound less and less of a bad idea.