Keeping Scores

Mrs Dennis gaped at Ant with genuine shock as he announced to her so casually that Stephen will be joining them for the dinner. She looked at him for a moment, then turned to Dec for another and then turned back to Ant.

Mrs Dennis: "Stephen? As in the Mulhern kid?"

Ant nods at her and then rolls his eyes as Dec hopped on the kitchen counter his teeth dug deep into an apple

Mrs Dennis: "Did ya wash you' hands, Dec?"

Dec grins adorably and Ant shakes his head

Ant: "You are downright childish when you are here. Do you know Mrs D, he is a real grump when at work"

Dec pouts at that "No I am not"

Mrs Dennis: "Home is 'lways home Anthony..."

She smiles affectionately but Dec's heart skips a beat Home...?

Suddenly he feels Ant leaning to him and wiping his chin with a tissue.

Ant: "Such a mess maker"

He says it with so much affection that Dec forgets what he was thinking. But then Ant takes the apple from Dec and bites into it.

Dec: "Mine" he pouts again.

Ant: "Ours" he grins.

This warms Dec's heart and he blushes. Ant leans closer to Dec while Mrs Dennis cleared her throat.

Mrs D: "I'm too old to watch this, me"

Both boys blush deep red and they take the cups from Mrs D.

Mrs Dennis: "So... Steph-"

Ant: "It was Dec's idea, yes" he rolls his eyes earning a chuckle from Dec.

Ant finishes his drink and after placing a small kiss on Dec's head, walks to his room to shower and change.

Mrs Dennis: "Ya said ya are not in love"

Dec: "No we aren't"

Mrs Dennis: "Sure look like that, kidda"

Dec blushes

Mrs Dennis: "Ya been changin' him, ya kna'. For one year...been seein' him happy..."

Dec frowns at that: "He wasn't like this?"

Mrs Dennis: "Was. Then changed"

Dec: "Why?"

Mrs Dennis looks uncomfortable

Dec: "Not your story to tell"

Mrs Dennis smiles at that "So Stephen?Why?"

Dec shrugs "Thought he can do with some company...he is his closest friend"

Mrs Dennis: "Only friend. Poor kid cares 'bout you' man there, him""

Dec blushes My man?

Dec: "Why don't Ant invite him?"

Mrs Dennis: "Ya 'ave seen Anthony...never close to 'nyone"

Dec nods "I want to change that"

Mrs Dennis: "I kna' ya will. Before ya came...this was a house. Now it's a home...ya get what I say?"

Dec nods I make this a home

Mrs Dennis: "Now, Go and wash up! Scram!"

She says it with motherly authority that an odd sense of longing envelopes Dec

Dec: "Yes Ma'am" he grins and walks to his room.

He showers and changes and while he was styling his hair, the door opens. He grins as Ant entered who just stood staring at the adorable figure before him.