Baby Blues

Elena POV 

I was looking through Ian's closet for extra diapers, when I found a scrapbook with one of Ian's ultrasound pictures in the front. I sat down on the floor and began flipping through, first looking through all his ultrasound pictures and then the day he was born and Meredith had placed him on my chest. Stefan, and Bonnie stood around me smiling as I laid back with a look of relief and exhaustion on my sweaty face. I continued flipping through the book as tears dripped off my nose and fell on the pictures. Then I came across the most recent picture of Damon and I laying in bed with Ian asleep between us. 

Looking through all of those pictures made me think more of the fact that I would never get that with my unborn baby. Damon had told me over the last 2 weeks that we could try again, but I just told him no, because I didn't want to have this happen again. I closed the book and placed it back on the shelf and grabbed the package of diapers. Damon came in the room holding my phone out in front of me.  Damon had been acting like he was hiding something all morning, but he wouldn't say anything. Who knows...

"It's Caroline." He quickly said, placing the phone in my hand and setting Ian down. He quickly kissed me and dashed out of the room as Stefan called for him. 

"He-" 

"Oh my God! Elena we need to talk about something, meet me at The Grill!" Caroline exclaimed, then hung up, giving me no time to talk. I slipped my phone back into my pocket and turned to my one year old son. His eyes and nose were red as he sniffled. He had been sick for the past few days and didn't seem to be getting any better. "You want to go see Caroline?" 

He clapped his hands together and held his arms out for me to pick him up. I grabbed his diaper bag and scooped him up. 

I walked into the Grill and Caroline waved at me from a booth on the opposite side. I sat down with Ian, "What's so important?" 

"Ok, I just found out a few days ago and I didn't know how to tell you, but I wanted you to know and I understand if you're upset-" 

"Caroline, stop rambling. I know you're pregnant." 

Caroline's eyes widened,"What? How- Who told you?" 

"No one told me anything. It's just that Bonnie did the same thing when she told me 2 days ago. Everytime someone says something about a baby, they act like it's a big deal." I said, resting my chin in my hands and staring back at her. "I'm fine.I'm over it. Did you tell Damon?" 

"No, why?" 

"Because Damon has been acting weird all morning." I said, Ian grabbed onto my arm as he whined and his nose ran.

Damon POV

After returning from the grill with Caroline, Elena put Ian down for a nap. When she came back into the room she rushed over to me with tears spilling from her eyes. I quickly wrapped arms around her, "Is this because of Caroline?" 

I felt her nod against my chest, she looked up to me with her watery brown eyes, "I don't get it." 

I kissed her head, "I don't either."

Caroline poked her head through the door, looking at me for approval. I nodded at her, she walked up quietly and placed her hand on Elena's shoulder. I figured Caroline and Elena could have their moment, so I walked downstairs and poured a glass of bourbon.