𝖎𝖛. In a Pipe Dream

◤ 𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖋𝖔𝖚𝖗: ❛ in a pipe dream ❜ ◢

ELIJAH WAS EVERYTHING SHE COULD EVER WANT IN A MAN. He was ever so patient with her, never demanded anything of her but asked her to do things and never pushed her into anything she didn't want to do, and always had time for her. He never looked down upon her because of their different classes, or because while he was financially stable she struggled greatly, and he always respected her wish for him not to pay for her food or any other niceties she might sometimes glance at.

          The only thing he did buy were more gowns and had them delivered at her door so that she would look exactly like the rest of the guests at his balls. And while she hated it, she begrudgingly accepted it because she still wanted to attend and didn't want to bear the looks of others if she wore a cheap dress or the same one repeatedly. It was worth hurting her pride a little to keep seeing Elijah.

          Katerina teased her endlessly about Elijah and her infatuation with him. "Can't you see how gone he is for you?" she asked, causing Marisol to blush.

          "All I am is a good time," she told her friend while preparing dinner, "We could never be together, I'm just his fun before he finally gets married."

          For while she found herself falling for Elijah's charm and kind heart, she was not foolish enough to believe that it would last forever. While she dreamed of finding herself a rich man to marry so that she and Magnus would have no troubles for the rest of their days, it would simply not become a reality – especially not with a Mikaelson. They were of the highest status, who could have anyone they could ever want, so someone like Elijah would never truly stay with her throughout many years.

          Especially not when he inevitably found out the truth of her curse. Of her fall from grace, from a being of balance good to a monster, plagued to roam the nights of the full moon without any consciousness and tear apart anything in her path. No one could ever truly love a monster like her.

          Katerina seemed not to believe her logic as she herself was the object of Niklaus', Elijah's brother, affection. He seemed utterly entranced by her from the moment he saw her, continually inviting her to balls and courting her. Katerina felt special and a prize that he was winning.

          It made sense as to why she wanted to believe that Elijah could truly love her, seeing as they were in the same position. And maybe Niklaus did find her appealing and would marry her, Elijah had said that he was a rebel, but Marisol knew that Elijah was more likely to stick to social norms and rules which specifically stated that she would always be a peasant and only the nobles married each other.

          It would be fun while it lasted anyway.

          A month since she had been first invited to a ball, she walked around the marketplace with Elijah by her side. He had begun to accompany her on her trips, not that she minded. She quite enjoyed his company.