𝖎𝖝. Trick of Fate

◤ 𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖊: ❛ trick of fate ❜ ◢

         USUALLY, MARISOL ONLY ALLOWED HERSELF ONE NIGHT AND ONE AFTERNOON TO BE SELFISH. She gave herself Friday nights to go and see Elijah, to live a grand life for a moment and truly consider what life could be like with them, being there, with no worry of money, with a new gown for every day, so many jewels and niceties. But there would be no more worries.

She thought about what if Elijah accepted her, for everything. For her wolf, for her nephew, for her lying to him about these things. And if he accepted her, she would be set for life. There would a grand existence for her and Magnus, where money would never be a problem. She could forget about her long days working, could forget about all the labor she did for barely any coin, and be dressed in the best gowns and jewelry. Magnus would have the best education, he would have a job set up for him, and have a fine, young lady to marry him later.

But those were pipe dreams. They were not reality and she could not consider them to ever come into reality, for exposing herself in all these ways, telling Elijah who she was and how she had lied to him...she feared it could not end well. Niklaus said that Elijah would always accept her wolf, but he did not know about Magnus. He did not know about her promise to Ophelia; her child before Marisol's own life.

Katerina tried to assure her that Elijah would never dream of turning her away, that Magnus would be accepted into the family, but Marisol could never be certain. No man would want to raise another's son. And to think about what her admittance into their family would do to their reputation. The Mikaelsons were known and respected all over London, but Marisol and Elijah's marriage would change the reputation.

People would whisper about her days as a beggar, the lowest of the low, a commoner with nothing whereas Elijah was a lord. And then they would see Magnus, they would call her a scarlet woman for having a child before any marriage, out of wedlock and born into scorn, and they would wonder how Elijah could see something worthwhile in her. The reputation would be in ruins and she could not do that to Elijah. He could easily find someone with less problems than her who would uphold the reputation instead of tearing it down.

But her second day of selfishness, her afternoon, was on Saturday in the market where she could wonder at all the jewelry and wish for them, where she could see Elijah again and feel complete for a second. Only a second.

Yet, here she was, for a third hour of selfishness, answering Elijah's letter to meet her at the market during the dark night of a Tuesday unlike ever before. It was against her rules, leaving Magnus alone for another night even though she was secure in his safety. Yet, it unnerved her to end her willingness to break her own rules more than once to see Elijah sooner.