𝖝𝖝𝖎𝖝. Familial Betrayals

◤ 𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖜𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖞-𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖊: ❛ familial betrayals ❜ ◢

HER BODY ACHED, SCREAMING AS SHE FORCED HERSELF UP FROM THE DIRT. This – without a doubt – was the worst part of transitioning. Not the bones breaking, not the losing a night, not the killings, not the inability to remember a goddamn thing, but waking up naked and afraid because at any moment, someone could come around the corner in the woods. It was a vulnerable position, both because she was without clothes and second because of the exhaustion, and not knowing how long she had been asleep.

          It was at least too long of a time for someone to come and grab her. Enough time for people to do it before, and she doubted it would be the last. She was too experienced to believe that.

          But today she was lucky – or as lucky as one could consider themselves. Dirt covered her, her hair was a mess, and there was a deep hunger inside of her after burning calories without a meal while in wolf form. She needed to rest, take the day off, but with how New Orleans had been running recently, she doubted she would have the chance to cool off.

          So, doing the best she could, she ignored the burn in her body as she moved, navigating as well as she could back to the tree she hid her clothes. Thankfully, she knew this area well. She had been in New Orleans for well over a year, had her transformations in the same spot, and always ended up near the same area. At least her wolf knew not to stray too far from base.

          Quickly shimming into her clothes, she turned her phone back on, seeing dozens of missed calls from Elijah, Hayley, and Marcel. Something in her stomach dropped and a frown plastered itself across her face. They knew it was the night of the full moon – they knew she would be unreachable – so why were they trying to reach her?

          She ran out of the bayou, getting into her car and speeding her way to the Compound. The place was quiet – eerily – and it made the hairs on her body stick up. "Elijah?" she called out once she was inside, looking around for anything to move, but he never came out of the shadows.

          After a moment of tense silence, a door creaked, and then Hayley appeared. Marisol rushed up the stairs to her, looking her over for a moment before pushing out her next words, "What happened last night?"

          "Klaus and Rebekah are missing."

          Marisol took a step back. How did two Originals just go missing? How does that just occur?

          "What?" she breathed out.

          "And there was an attack on me. At the plantation home – I almost burned. Elijah saved me," Hayley continued.