𝖝. Deep Affliction

◤ 𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖊𝖓: ❛ deep affliction ❜ ◢

MAGNUS BABBLED ON AS MARISOL PEERED DOWN ON HIM WITH A SMALL SMILE. It was a quiet evening, Katerina had gone out earlier with Niklaus, a broad smile spreading across her face when he appeared at her front door. Marisol had to turn away when she saw it, knowing that she was expecting a pleasant evening which would be recreated many times spanning across numerous years, while Marisol knew that Niklaus did not wish the same.

Her heart ached to tell Katerina the truth, to tell her how Niklaus did not love her the same way she loved him, but every time she opened her mouth to utter such a thing, her throat would dry instantly and the words she wanted to speak were caught. She could not out of the fear that Niklaus would turn on her and expose her as a beast to the man that wrongfully owned her heart.

No, but she had cut out her heart, determined that Elijah could never put it back together. Elijah did not need her and she could not have him forever. She had already begun to pack for her leave because there was no way she could stay after he kissed her, cementing that he had a leash on her actions and would hold her captive there forever. She had to escape before he found out the truth of all her lies.

And she felt terribly awful for not saying anything to Katerina, for lying to her and feeding into her dream that she would one day bear the name Katerina Mikaelson. If she were a better friend, maybe she could, but she wasn't. Self-preservation. It was her and Marisol before any friendship, especially since she hoped she would not have to see the fallout with her soon departure from England.

She needed to keep Magnus' best interest in mind before the best interest of Katerina, though she dearly loved the girl and hoped her the best in the future.

"Oh, my darling," Marisol whispered to her sweet nephew, watching as he began to levitate from the ground. She let out a quiet laugh at him, "You will make a wonderful warlock in the future. Ophelia would be proud."

Because she would. Ophelia loved magic dearly, it was her lifeline, and she doubted that her sister could ever imagine a life without magic. Anything else she could deal with, but magic was her blood and rock, tethering her to the world. Nothing was dearer to her than the magic in her veins, and she would be so proud if she could see Magnus now, already exhibiting signs of a great mage.

Magnus giggled at her, eyes sparkling, and she picked him up to give him a kiss on his head before setting him on the ground. She had actually gotten home at a decent time and needed to make dinner for the both of them, so she walked away from him to the table to begin preparing the meal.

It was then that she heard an insistent knock at her door, causing her to frown before going towards it. She opened it to find her frantic friend. "Katerina? Are you alright?" she asked immediately when she saw the state of the girl.