𝖝𝖝𝖎. Perfect Pretender

◤ 𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖜𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖞-𝖔𝖓𝖊: ❛ perfect pretender ❜ ◢

MARISOL COULDN'T SLEEP WITH A MAN BY HER SIDE. Magnus was her only exception, when he was young and they could only afford one bed in some places, but no one else. A lifetime of paranoia, raised by witches who questioned every outsider who approached their town and then raising her own nephew with a cautious eye, pissing off Original vampires...all of that would do that to you.

          She only trusted herself, and could only sleep when she was alone in her room with the door locked, though she knew it wouldn't do any good against a vampire. It was for comfort more than practicality, but it made her feel better at night so she always continued the practice.

          But Diego was by her side, and she was very aware of the fact that both of them had no clothing between them under his sheets which smelled like fresh linen, so she couldn't go to sleep. He drew circles into her side and she closed her eyes, not wanting to make any conversation with him. She was there for one reason, and she completed that, now she just wanted to relax even further and forget the night even more than she was before.

          Of course, it wasn't exactly working.

          "I can tell that you aren't actually asleep," Diego commented in a low voice, his finger swirling around on her back which was turned to him.

          Marisol bit her lip, opening her eyes, and she turned to him, meeting his dark eyes that looked all too mirthful at the moment. "Just had to call me out, didn't you?" she asked, a teasing smile tracing her lips now.

          She wasn't amused at all, but she could play the part. If there was one thing Marisol Bigora was good at, it was pretending.

          His eyes dropped to her lips before he leaned in to kiss her, and for this night alone, she allowed him. Tomorrow morning, she would go back to pretending he never existed. Tomorrow morning, she wouldn't let him kiss her and she wouldn't kiss him, but tonight...tonight she could allow this bittersweet intimacy to happen and forget all about that.

          Tonight, she could pretend with her lonely lover, and tomorrow she would face the man who once held her entire soul in his hands before he crushed it.

          "Maybe I just like looking at your face more than your back," Diego told her, a soft smile tugging at his lips and he looked so perfectly content with tonight, with her in his arms. She almost wanted to break his heart now and tell him that this was only tonight, not tomorrow or the next day, but she figured that would ruin the mood.

          She would deal with that tomorrow.

          The laundry list for tomorrow was getting longer by the second, but too much had already happened today. Hayley's baby almost dying, running around New Orleans trying to fix, coming so close to that death...it was too much. There were seconds there she thought it was going to be like Magnus all over again, watching as time slowed as Kol took his neck and snapped it, Magnus' newly lifeless body falling to the ground.