Chapter five~

Chapter by: xlovemusicalsx

(y/n)'s POV

There was a point when the cats had lead me to my bed, and I hadn't gotten up yet. Sure, I really should've been working, being some kind of productive, but I was sleepy and both my cats were laying on me, with Couverture on my stomach and Barrett on my lap.

I reached over, careful not to disturb the cats, and turned off my lamp. The room went dark, and all I could see was moonlight streaming in from my window. I turned my head to the side and closed my eyes, welcoming the drowsy feeling that washed over me as I heard the gentle and constant purr continue.

Suddenly, I wasn't in my warm bed with my two babies. I was in the dark, in some forest. I looked around, and I noticed this path of dirt. It lead me somewhere familiar, and after what felt like hours, I reached a large house. It was dark and falling apart, but a luxurious mansion nonetheless.

I knew I recognized this place. Had I been here before? I kept drawing a blank. It was just different enough that I couldn't put my finger on where I'd seen it before. I stepped closer, past the tall pointy fences that could probably stab you if you fell on them just right.

In the yard, the grass was dark and looked soft, but I couldn't feel it under my feet. I looked around cautiously. I felt like I was being watched.

Suddenly, all of the gargoyles turned to me at once, and the tall blonde woman that I'd seen earlier stood in the doorway.

Wait, that's where I'd seen this! Today, I came to this creepy old place.

She stepped toward me, grinning an awful, ugly grin. From a distance, the woman looked pretty today. Now, she was too pale, beyond ghostly white. And her eyes were entirely black, as if they were just voids where nothing existed.

She stepped close enough to grab me if she wanted, but I couldn't move. Not when she opened her red-lipped mouth to smile, and there were too many sharp teeth in there. It was like a human shark, but even more terrifying. My blood went cold when I saw dark red liquid dripping off of her top teeth.

She grabbed my arm with a steely grip, and I looked down numbly to see not hands, not fingers or human nails, but long yellowing talons with the same thick red liquid dripping from them, and nails that looked to be piercing my skin, but I couldn't feel a thing.

Fear gripped every piece of my body, and I felt like I could throw up, or start crying, or both. She smiled even wider, that sick serial killer smile that made me want to crawl in the a whole and hide away from everything to ever exist.

Her other talon grabbed my shoulder, and she pulled me close. I felt disgusting, I wanted to crawl out of my skin and scream, but I couldn't. I was stuck as I was, still and silent and submissive to this ugly demon's desires.

Suddenly she latched her teeth to my neck, in one fluid motion that didn't give me enough time to even flinch.

In an instant I was no longer outside that mansion, but I was in the dark with two heavy weights on my body. I couldn't breathe, I realized in terror.

I reached over, fumbling with my lamp desperately in the dark.

Soon, warm light bathed the room and allowed me to collect my thoughts.

The weights on me were Couverture and Barrett, who'd been woken up and looked at me with wide eyes.

I started to stroke them gently, waiting for my heart rate to slow and the images to disappear from my head.

I looked around my room, still on high alert for any unusual shadow. When there was none, I sighed deeply.

I was safe.

(666 words)