Chapter nineteen~

Chapter by: xlovemusicalsx

(y/n)'s POV

"Oh, Veronica, hey! How did you know where I live?" I asked as she suddenly turned up at my door, only an hour after I'd gotten home from school.

"Heather mentioned, not Duke, McNamara. I figured I'd help you decorate for Halloween or something." She said with a shrug. I grinned at the mention of Halloween.

Did I ever mention it's the actual best holiday to ever exist? Because it fucking is.

"Oh cool, that would be wonderful. Come on in." I stood to the side of the doorway to let her in.

Something seemed off about Veronica, though. She seemed a slight bit robotic, or commanding. She certainly seemed to be in a weird mood. It put me on edge, but I decided to ignore it. Worst thing that would happen is maybe a strange conversation, right?

"Or if you want, we could sit and drink tea. You look tired." Veronica offered. I shrugged, nodding and heading to the kitchen to make some tea.

"You graduated college last year, right?" I asked her. She nodded with a small smile.

"Yep, now I'm a lawyer in town and stuff. It's pretty cool. you took a gap year right? Still getting that education?" She warmed up a bit as we had some small talk.

Then, after a little while, the conversation strayed to Halloween and more specifically, vampires.

"I did a research project on vampire lore senior year, figuring that 'Hey, it's my last year of high school anyway, might as well do something weird' and I stumbled across real, historical vampires. And a lot about their genetics and natural behaviors and stuff," Veronica explained. I leaned forward on the edge of my seat, attention now captivated.

"Like what? Find anything really interesting?" I asked, remembering how Chandler was a vampire. This could be nice to know.

"Like every vampire has a soulmate, or fated one as the academics say. The fated one is human about 87.9% of the time, and the vampire is biologically wired to protect them and be around them constantly. Their powers also are stronger when in relation to their human counterpart, like they can read their minds above all and stuff. And when the human dies, they'll be reincarnated and the vampire will end up right back with them, again and again for centuries." Veronica explained. I was absolutely captivated.

How cool was that? I wondered if Heather had met her fated one yet.

"Oh fun! Do humans get the same instincts as vampires when they are the fated one? Do you remember?" I asked, tilting my head in curiosity.

"No, the human just acts as typical people in love do, but a bit more intense. Vampires are the ones who have it written into their DNA, so it's far more extreme for them. Big emotions, big romance, big everything. It's pretty cool, I guess. Besides mating season, when their instincts are intense times ten and they refuse to let their fated ones be in a separate room than them." Veronica told me.

I smiled, rolling my eyes at the last part. She was probably exaggerating, I mean, not letting someone be in a different room than you is a really intense extreme. Vampires couldn't be that possessive and paranoid, right? It was years ago, she probably mis-remembered that fact.

We talked on for hours about vampires, and our families, and how fucking lame school used to be.

All in all, I had a good day.

(579 words)