Chapter One - Meeting at Starbucks

Stephanie’s POV

June 11, 2012

Monday is the worst day out of the week especially if you are working the afternoon and night shirt at Starbucks. New staff always get the worst and longest hours. I was currently the only staff member in Starbucks since everyone got out at eleven thirty while my unreasonable boss - also know as my stupid cousin - made me stay another half an hour as well as be back here to open at six in the morning. Who wants coffee so late at night? I understand early in the morning but at night?

I had just finished cleaning the stock room and back room where the staff hang out on breaks. My next step was to count the money in the cash register but my boss had counted the money before he left. Since he left I have made no sales. So the amount of money has not changed. There is still a two hundred and two dollars with seventy six cents in the register.

There is about ten minutes until I close and then I am free. So for the next ten minutes I am going to have some "ME" time. I toke off my green Starbucks visor and undid my bun allowing my bipolar hair - which is currently straight - to fall down to my shoulders. I then undid the bow on my apron and threw it on the cash register along with my visor.

Jumping over the counter I walked over to the black leather sofa which I fell on top of. I buried my face into the white pillow and did my best to forget everything that was going on. For you see, I have a lot of trouble with men. Since I have been in England I have about three dates with three different types of idiots. I always attract the idiots. Can I ask why though? I am an attractive almost eighteen year old girl. At least I think I am attractive.

These past two years I have done my best to make myself more attractive, I think? Two years ago I was three hundred pounds, had very dorky glasses and my hair was always in this nerdy pony tail. Right now, I am about one hundred and forty pounds, no longer wear glasses that hide my brown eyes and my hair is usually down so that people can see my curls… Well sometimes curls. I have one problem, like I said before my hair must be a bun at work. Also my hair is also bipolar so is like to go curly or straight.  Long story short, my hair hates me.

Now back to talking about how I can’t get a nice boyfriend. Maybe I can’t get a good man on account of how much schooling I have been doing. The past two years I have been at Harvard University trying to get my Masters in Physics, Biology, Chemistry and English. I was very successful since I did get my Masters in all those four subjects but now I have to get my Ph.D in Physics for my mother; Ph.D in Biology and Chemistry for my father; and I want to get my Ph.D in English so I can professionally write books. First World Problems.

I really love English. I feel so free when I am writing. That why I am working at Starbucks. I got a scholarship to the Physics, Biology and Chemistry program at the University of Manchester which is amazing. However, there is a catch. My mother does not want me to enter the English program since English, to quote my mother, is for the weak. To bad mom; I am still going but I did not apply for the scholarship so I have to raise the money for the program by myself. This way my mother will never find out I am entering this program. My mother always checks out the scholarship winners to see if any of the winners are worthy of her presence.

Focus!! Why I can’t find a good boyfriend? I have the real answer. I always go for the player and the bad boys. I never go for the nice guys. I remember discussing this with my four best friends. I remember ranting for hours about not finding a good boyfriend and in the end all of them wanted to set me up with this boy that their boyfriends have known for about two years. He sounds sweet but when Perrie, one of my besties, talks about him I feel like she really thinks of him as a player. I know this because she calls him a player.