prologue

NISHINOYA SIGHED. He shouldn't be up this late. He wasn't supposed to be up this late. If his mother found him wrapped under a bundle of blankets with the bright screen of his phone, he'd be caught and scolded in no time. Scrolling endlessly through Twitter for memes only struck down so much time, so he found himself looking at YouTube videos instead.

What started as cute cat videos, fat dog clips, and the occasional Yagami Yato ASMR turned into various vlog channels. There were multiple in different languages, one of the Russian ones nearly getting him caught when they showed a clip of the 'two shots of vodka' vine. He kept clicking, ending up on one weird video in particular.

The editing was weird, crazy, and meme-ish compared to all of the cleaned-up ones he'd been seeing until now. There was Spongebob Squarepants music in the background and as she sped through her makeup routine, there was the Mario Kart soundtrack. At one point, she flung her mascara out of her hand, a 'yahoo!' resonating from her editing.

Nishinoya found himself perplexed. He had no idea what this girl was saying, but the speed, editing, and music behind all of her actions left him thoroughly entertained. He sighed quietly, shutting his phone off once it showed her modeling in front of a full-length mirror. Plugging it in and setting it on his nightstand, his covers rustled as he shifted beneath them.

He closed his eyes, mumbling softly in Japanese.

"Americans are weird."