I | intro

INTRO

"SUDDEN CHANGE OF HEART?" Her father asked as he plated their dinners, handing them each a serving of salad. Some of the six kids let out horrendous groans while others smacked the complainers, scolding them to eat their vegetables. Y/n shifted in her seat, shrugging as she poked at the fancy steak dinner.

Her mood seemed a little aloof compared to her usual behavior and she found herself messing with her mashed potatoes. "I don't know, I just want to go somewhere else. I feel so confined." Her dad gave her a look, one that spoke 'I know you too well to know that that isn't the only reason'. She caved, mumbling.

"Okay, maybe I want to go to Japan for the cat."

"A cat?" D/n perked a brow at that, taking a serving of salad. The other kids were paying attention now, tilting their heads up curiously or whispering amongst themselves. The five kids stared at their older sister, bewildered. She was the fourth oldest, the other three above her had already left; two having started families on their own.

Chang pumped his fist in the air ecstatically, "Can I go to Japan too?" Y/n and D/n immediately looked at him with a stern look. "No." The nine-year-old frowned, his temper tantrum already beginning as he shoved his seat out from under the table and stomped off towards his room. Damien followed after, waiting a few more moments.

He sighed, "I'll go get him." He copied Chang's actions earlier, heading upstairs. Their dad looked over at Y/n again, massaging the space between his graying brows. "A cat, you're going to Japan for a cat. Y/n, you don't even speak Japanese. You only know French, German, and Italian." He looked at her, his wrinkles showing as he furrowed his brows.

"What makes you think you should go to Japan?"

She shoved some mashed potatoes in her mouth, mumbling. "Buttered noodles," The girl answered with the name of her grandmother's cat; one that she had lovingly named four years prior when they'd traveled to Japan as a family. Of course, that was before Rose, Delilah, and Chastity were adopted.

The three six-year-olds came as some odd package deal due to their close relationship with one another after growing up in the same orphanage over the years. "I still don't know if I can just let you go off to a country on your own," Her father retorted, the three girls sharing looks as their heads flitted back and forth from their older sister to their dad.

"You trusted me to go to Africa that one time," She pointed out, thrusting her fork in the air towards her father. He sighed and looked at her, tilting his head slightly as he stared at her. "You were with your mother and you were eight-years-old. Nonetheless, you were surrounded by volunteers too."

Y/n frowned, "If you just buy me the plane ticket, I'll be fine. I have my own bank account and I'll figure it out. I won't be alone, Grandma will be there too!" He stared at her with a blank look. His dull blue eyes pierced his adopted daughter's as he blinked at her. "You expect your grandmother to be some kind of tour guide?"

"Yes," She stumbled her words. "I mean, no! Not exactly, at least."

"I had to ship her a walking cane," D/n retorted simply, cutting another piece of steak for himself. Y/n huffed and her father continued, stabbing the piece before shoveling it into his mouth nonchalantly. "Plus, I'm the one that funds everyone's bank accounts. So, you'd still be feeding off my wallet."

What was supposed to be a conversation about sending her across the country became some kind of playful banter between the two, Y/n childishly slumping in her seat as her dad laughed at her misery. Chastity suddenly stood up, slamming both hands onto the table. "You have a bank account for everyone? How much do I have?!"

Y/n glanced over, "Depends, how many brain cells do you have?" Her reply made the six-year-old fume in anger as Rose and Delilah silently giggled. Her father shot her a warning look and the h/c haired girl shut up instantly, sitting upright in her seat again as Chastity smiled coyly. However, her father finished the conversation with something better.

"Even if I told you, Chastity, I don't think you could count that high."

"Daddy!" The aggravated child hit the table again. "You're supposed to be on my side!"

Delilah grabbed the brunette's hands, gently moving them away from the table as she spoke in a quiet tone; her words sending Rose into another fit of laughter. "Don't hit the table, it didn't do anything to you." Chastity fumed, crossing her arms as she slumped in her seat like Y/n had done earlier.

D/n picked up his now clean plate, inhaling sharply as he looked over at Y/n. "Would you be careful and would you listen to your grandmother?" The h/c haired girl nodded rapidly, her excitement growing as he questioned her. "Would you be willing to learn some Japanese?" She nodded again, knowing that she'd probably procrastinate on that part.

"Are you going to try in school?"

She shook her head at that one.

He massaged his temples, letting a maid take away his plate. Another one came by and took Damien and Chang's dishes, claiming that they wanted to eat upstairs instead. "Jesus, you're just like your mother," He mumbled under his breath, shaking his head. M/n was an odd one and she traveled frequently; her personality seeming to brush off too much onto her adopted daughter.

In fact, she was almost never in the house due to always traveling to different countries to do charity work; it was both a blessing and a curse to her husband's nerves and worries. "So, you're going to wander around and study their culture?" She nodded. "I guess that means you'll be vlogging," Y/n scrunched her nose at that comment.

"When do I not? That's pretty much what I do, Dad."

He groaned and threw his head back before striding off towards the stairs, "Your flight is in a few days. Get your things ready, I'll make sure to book your ticket tonight."