VII | summer

》SUMMER《

"NOYA-SAN," Tanaka caught the boy's attention, making him look up at him curiously. He blinked, responding in Japanese. "What, Ryū?" He continued to scribble away at his notes, actually paying attention this time. "Nothing, it's just. . . " His classmate trailed off, gazing at random things.

He muttered, "You've actually been paying attention in class now. Did your parents say something?" Despite his concerned tone, a teasing expression shaped his face as he grinned evilly. Noya's jaw dropped and he grew flustered, backing up. He retorted swiftly. "Y'know, Tanaka-san," Noya smirked.

"If you paid attention in English like I do now, maybe you can grow fluent enough to impress our mighty goddess Kiyoko-san."

Tanaka gaped and immediately started taking notes, his hand flying across the page as Noya laughed to himself. He continued scribbling down notes, flipping through a textbook occasionally as the teacher rambled. In all honesty, Noya's motivation for suddenly paying attention was far from grades or surprisingly, Kiyoko.

It'd just come to him one day while he was watching Y/n vlog at lunch. She was putting so much effort and time into learning to communicate with us. It's not right if we don't do the same. Noya smiled to himself, knowing that this was for the good of someone else. He was slowly picking up more English.

This was mainly due to Y/n's videos, but he was learning nonetheless. He'd realized that Y/n's vocabulary mainly consisted of the words "clown", "rat", and an odd pronunciation of "disgusting". Those were words he'd probably never properly use, but he was willing to at least get familiar with them.

Even in English class, Y/n aced it. She commonly got the work done early and Noya would always watch her slip out a book from her bag. It was usually some wrinkly old book filled with Japanese folklore and culture; he could easily tell by the colors on the pages. However, it sometimes changed to Japanese dictionaries.

He sighed wistfully, glancing out the window to his left. His body jolted all of a sudden, the teacher calling his name. "What's the correct answer?" His teacher asked straightforwardly, clearly having caught him daydreaming just seconds ago. He watched as his classmates turned to gaze at him.

Even her. Her eyes were wide with curiosity and she seemed to be studying Noya, looking over her shoulder expectantly. "U-Uh, B." He responded awkwardly to which his teacher nodded, continuing on with the lesson. Tanaka glanced at him, jaw dropping. He stared at his classmate in awe.

Did THE Guardian Deity, Nishinoya Yū, just stutter?!

His baldheaded mind was blown.

"What made you so nervous, Noya-san?" Tanaka grinned cheekily, looking over at the male with tactical eyes. Tanaka saw himself as stupid, but definitely not dumb. He could read his friends like a book, no matter how idiotic he seemed. "Nothing, I just got put on the spot," He answered, busy writing more notes.

Tanaka leaned in, "Oh, really? You're always put on the spot during our games since you're our oh-so-great libero, but an answer made your panties get in a twist?" He made a little hand gesture, twisting air in between his hands in order to make a point. Noya blinked at his friend, embarrassed.

Y/n turned to look at them again, obviously intrigued by their banter. "What's wrong?" The words slipped past her lips in Japanese. The accent was a little off, but she got the spirit. "Nothing, nothing," Noya quickly shook his head and Tanaka had a shit-eating grin on his lips. "I think—"

Noya clamped a hand over his friend's mouth swiftly, feeling his face grow warm. "—you don't think. Your brain isn't big enough." He responded quickly, his mind flickering back to one of the insults Tsukishima had used on another teammate. Y/n snickered, shaking her head as Tanaka feigned anguish.

"Noya-san," She whispered.

The girl continued as his brown eyes glimmered at her, clearly giving her his full attention. "That was cold." She stared before whirling back around to her little Japanese dictionary. Their teacher continued, assigning some homework that Nishinoya swore to get done at lunch. It'd save him a lot of trouble if he did.

That way, he could watch Y/n's videos with no care in the world and get used to more of the new English terms. It was a win-win in his mind. However, as he sat there during lunch contemplating his life choices and internally crying his lifespan away, he regretted everything. "Noya?" A voice called, revealing their Jesus-like ace.

A silver-haired third-year merely patted Asahi's shoulder, shaking his head and quietly saying something as he jabbed his thumb backwards. Asahi nodded, slowly moving away, Nishinoya shifting as he blinked through the small crack of light that he let his arms harness. He sighed, moving his head on his little arm-nest.

"Noya-san?" Another voice called, catching his attention. As usual, she had a slight perk in her step and her camera swung from her neck casually. The sunlight hit her perfectly in Nishinoya's eyes and he grinned like an idiot. "Hey, L/n-san," He watched her sit down with a small juice box, sipping it.

He blinked at her, "You're not hungry?" Noya asked in a worried tone as she shook her head with a small smile. "No. I eat at home." She said calmly in Japanese. Staring, she realized what he'd been suffering under the hot sun over, giggling to herself as she turned over his English worksheet.

There were only a few spots filled. Minus the name and date, only a few questions on one side were answered while the rest remained blank or held previous pencil lines. "I can help," She pointed hesitantly, not sure if she pronounced part of the sentence right as she gestured to the homework, him, and herself.

He nodded, grinning widely as he pumped his fist in the air. "Hell yeah! With you helping me, we'll get this done in no time!" Y/n awkwardly scratched her cheek, smiling as she responded with one of the first Japanese phrases she wanted to learn. "Noya-san," His eyes flitted to her. "I don't understand what you said."