X | fall

FALL
🍁

"SO," Nishinoya mumbled, slowly unbuttoning his blazer and pulling it off. "This is home?" Y/n hummed, nodding as she disappeared into the living room, setting my bag and camera down for a second as the girl paused filming. "Yeah, you relax. I'll get your blazer dry." He complied, tossing it to her.

Her Japanese was still broken and his English was still shaky, but there were attempts. However, the situation they were in now hardly compared to their slowly breaking language barrier. Rain wasn't as nice to them like in movies; it was cold, abrupt, and annoying. Both didn't mind it, but preferred warmth.

The two had been heading home from Karasuno, but ended up drenched in rain instead. I doubt kissing in the rain feels as nice as they show it in movies. Y/n huffed, running a hand through her damp hair as she threw his blazer in the dryer and clicked a few buttons, letting it spin. She sighed, stretching briefly.

In about an hour, the libero's sweater would be warm again and he could head home. "Homework?" Noya offered, waving his folder. She shook her head and a childish pout shaped his lips. "Can't, my online tutor will call." Y/n responded with a small smile as she pointed to her laptop on the dining table.

Nishinoya just sighed boredly, taking a seat on the couch as he rolled up the damp ends of his uniform pants. He leaned his head back against the couch, an abrupt brush against his leg making him perk up. A small purr vibrated on his skin as he grinned, looking down. "Butters," He pronounced.

He reached down to pet the cat, smoothing over his tan fur as the cat let out another purr and nuzzled into his warm hand. "You met the cat," She pointed out with a small smile, still occasionally ringing out her damp hair with her fingers. He nodded, petting the furry creature.

"His name is Buttered Noodles. Butters for short."

She said with a bright smile, making Noya laugh at the ridiculous name. She disappeared again as Noya busied himself with the cat. He didn't want to make too much noise, so he found himself attempting to get an early start on his homework. For once, now that he was actually focused, he understood it.

Butters sat beside him, nipping at the end of the worksheet occasionally for attention, but he didn't make any noise either. The only sound was coming from the dining room and that was mainly Y/n talking to her online tutor as she repeated Japanese words and phrases, pausing every now and then to ask questions.

Circling a few problems he didn't understand, he put the worksheet back in his folder. I'll just get the answers from Ryū or something. He planned in his head, moving onto his Japanese Literature worksheet. "You mean I actually have to look at this passage? Fuck me." He mumbled quietly.

It wasn't a secret that Noya wasn't the biggest fan of reading.

After ten minutes of growing bored and answering random stuff, he put that worksheet away too. Y/n's lesson must've been over since he heard the click of her laptop closing, looking up. Just as he guessed, she walked in before bursting out laughing. "What?" He smiled, asking in English as the girl laughed hysterically.

"Y-You and Butters!"

Turns out both of them had looked up at the exact same time with similar expressions on their face, amusing the h/c haired girl. "Lesson ended?" Noya questioned, combing the cat's fur. Y/n shrugged, "Family emergency." The libero nodded as Y/n's hand joined his, both of them petting the cat.

Rarely, their fingers would brush against each other's and they'd flush, smiling at one another. "Y/n?" A soft, yet croaky voice sounded from upstairs and Y/n slid off the couch. "Coming, Grandma!" She ran up the steps as Noya stared quizzically. He heard quiet murmurs, but wasn't too curious to follow Y/n.

However, he was a little heartbroken when Butters slipped off the couch and pranced upstairs. "Noya-san, this is my grandma." Y/n awkwardly introduced as a wobbly little old lady peeked out from the corner behind the stairs and waved. He waved back, smiling warmly. Her grandma returned the expression.

She shakily used her cane to get down and looked at Y/n disapprovingly.

"You didn't get him any snacks?"

The two bickered in English as Noya was only able to make out a few words. "Shush, child! I'll make some snacks, you two work on your homework." Her grandmother huffed and dismissed her with a waving hand, making Y/n roll her eyes in an amused manner. She pecked her grandma's cheek, laughing. "Thanks, Grandma."

"Snacks or homework?" He said cluelessly with a heavy accent. She smiled, "Grandma's getting snacks. We study." She pointed at him and he dramatically groaned. Y/n just shook her head with a light smile, taking out her own homework. He helped her with the math worksheet, occasionally correcting her as she hummed.

She chewed on the end of her pencil, frustrated. "Break?" Noya offered and she instantly shook her head. Suddenly, the same soft voice from before was speaking an angry language. It was safe to say that Noya was scared for his life. He never imagined a brittle, old, cane-wielding lady could be so terrifying.

Y/n argued back in German, Noya looking at her in surprise too. Is it like some kind of anger switch?! He was both startled and terrified as to how much power these women held. "You'll run yourself into the ground! The boy's right!" Her grandma pointed accusingly at Noya as he gulped and sunk into the cushions.

"I need to get this done!"

"You need a break! You're just like your parents!" Her grandma scolded, throwing her head back to let out a dramatic groan. Y/n huffed and sighed, setting her work aside. "Fine, break time!" She switched to English, Noya's tawny eyes flitting back and forth between Y/n and her own grandma.

He shivered. One day I'm going to come over again and they're going to be having some kind of satanic cult ritual, I swear.