Chapter Three: Lies and Memories

The two appeared on the warp pad outside Steven's room, he continued to hold Spinel's hand as he led her down the stairs.

"Pearl?" He called, hearing a shuffling downstairs. The two entered the living area where Pearl continued to fold Steven's clothes, nearly done now. Garnet stood behind the island, while Amethyst lay on the couch, snoring.

"Oh you're back already?" Pearl turned, eyeing the two as they entered the room, Steven's face stoned, while Spinel seemed to sulk behind him.

"Spinel's gem was cracked and she isn't allowed to talk about it. How do I get inside her gem?" The words rushed out of his mouth as if he had been holding them in the whole way there, the hurry in his voice caught all the gems, including Spinel off guard, she ripped her hand away from him in astonishment before shrinking in on herself in embarrassment.  Amethyst bolted upright, staring at Spinel, Pearl dropped the t-shirt in her hand, Garnet stood entirely still aside from a subtle head nod.

"What?!" Pearl gasped, flabbergasted. She hurried toward Spinel, dropping to her knees to inspect her gem. Spinel awkwardly stretched her neck away from her in embarrassment, flashing a concerned glance at Steven for reassurance.

"It didn't look cracked to me?" Pearl inspected the heart shaped gem, quizzically tapping on the surface, causing Spinel to stretch her legs over her to escape the sudden closeness of the situation.

"Don't worry about it, I fixed it with a kiss." Steven said distractedly, moving closer to Spinel instinctively. Pearl stood, her hand on her chin, thinking of how Spinel would be able to let him into her gem.

"Wow, Steven your healing powers have gotten a lot better." Amethyst added, sitting back on the couch.

"Well, it should work the same way as it did when I asked you to get my phone. Ah, Spinel? Did you keep anything other than the rejuvenator in your gem?" Spinel looked up at Pearl.

"Um, no, I wasn't made to have any weapons-" Spinel stopped herself, suddenly shaking her head in disbelief, "wait, wait, wait, wait, WAIT! Are you expecting me to just let Steven go inside my gem?! How does that even work?!"

Pearl turned her head upward in thought for a moment, "I'm not entirely sure, perhaps because he is half gem? It worked for me." She nodded affirmatively. At this, Spinel took a step back raising her arms in reject.

"What if there is another way? Can't you think of another way?"
Stress and fear began to edge along Spinel's mind as she frantically tried to ignore the thought of another gem peering inside of her, seeing her deepest and darkest fears, her worst mistakes.
She took another step back defensively before a hand fell on her shoulder.
Garnet stood beside her, her hand on Spinel's shoulder, a gentle smile reminding her to trust Steven.
She sighed, relaxing her tense shoulders and pushing her hand through her hair tentatively.

"Okay, okay…" Spinel's eyes met Steven's, "just...be careful."

Steven nodded, stepping toward her, grabbing her hand in his and holding it up.

"I would be nothing but."

A blinding white light enveloped Steven as he was sucked into her gem, he found himself in a white space filled with nothing, a lone Spinel sitting on the ground, tracing her finger along the ground. She looked up, and jumped to her feet, shocked to see another gem before her.

"Steven?" She whispered softly, before a wide grin grew across her face, her arms stretched out and wrapped themselves around Steven, picking him up off his feet and pulling him toward her. She set him down before her and untangled her arms.

"Hi Spinel, can you help me find Spinel's secret?"
The Spinel looked solemn at the thought.

"I can't,  but I bet if you ask Spinel she can show you?" Steven smiled, thinking to himself how silly the thought of meeting the other Spinels. Or at least, the spinels inside of his Spinel.