Chapter Four: Misunderstanding and Mistakes

Steven paced across the living room floor, Spinel sat on the couch, closed in on herself, worriedly glancing from each gem and back as Steven's rage bubbled just underneath the surface.

"They lied to me. And I believed them. And then I let you go with them. And they tried to shatter you." He turned and gestured frantically at Spinel, who averted her eyes from his anger.

"They tried to shatter you, Spinel!" His voice rose, until he caught Spinel's composure and realized he was scaring her. He softened and attempted to relax himself. Spinel closed her eyes to prevent tears.

"This is my fault…" Steven whispered to himself, looking away from the gems.

"What?" Spinel questioned, Steven turned away from the four gems, tied up in his own thoughts.

"This is all my fault. I shouldn't have pushed you onto them, I knew they weren't ready. I knew you weren't ready and I did anyways." He said to himself.

"What?" Spinel now stood, she stepped away from Steven, her hands close to her chest as if she felt her heart begin to break.

"I didn't want to admit it, but I was selfish. And I knew better but I let you go. I'm so stupid!"

"What?" Spinel seemed to only be able to say the word as she felt her world crash around her.

"I didn't want you around and it led to this!" Steven cried, grabbing his head in frustration, not realizing he had even said the words aloud, he opened his eyes and Spinel stood before him, her eyes grew wide as the realization washed over her.

"You..knew- you knew this could happen?" The words seemed to fall out of her mouth, Spinel's arms twitched as she began to click together the pieces.
"You knew and you let me go? Because you didn't want me around?"

Spinel ducked her head, her hands hands clasping her ears. She didn't want to listen to him. She didn't want to care anymore, but every photon in her vibrated with hurt and rage and fear. It's happening again.

The gem's grip grew tighter as she caught the thoughts racing in her head, she felt as though she were going to burst if she moved, if she spoke.
Suddenly she relaxed, the complete change in demeanor startled Steven and the other gems. Spinel lifted her head and lackadaisically slung herself upright a forced smile on her face as a tear or two trailed down her cheek.

"Oh I see." She said snarkily. "You don't actually like me. You never did. I ruined your life! Your 'happily ever after.'" She mocked, throwing air quotes as she said the words.
Spinel let out a laugh, finally wrapping her head around everything.

"You, oh-hoh-ho, you thought you could pawn me off!" Her words nearly caught in her throat as she said them. Spinel bent back for a moment before letting out a sarcastic laugh, her hand gripping her stomach tightly.

"You, you preach! Like it's good to change! Like you can fix everything by talking about it. But-but all the stories I hear about you! Saying you're a friend to all, that you're compassionate" Spinel's voice cracked and she could barely finish the word as she said it.

"You-hoo-hoo, oh you are the one who changed for the worse!" Her words cut deeply into Steven, he watched as the gem began to spiral again. The crystal gems stood now, ready to draw their weapons.

Spinel glanced at them each, chuckling to herself, "Don't bother, I can do that myself."

The crystal gems held their stance, prepared for a fight.

"You ignored me! Don't think I don't remember, you ignored me and you-you used me! And then convinced me that it was okay! I didn't want to remember, Steven. But you made me!" Spinel laughed, "You made me remember and then you let me live! With the people who made my Pink leave me!" Spinel rested her hand on her gem, breaking her angry facade for a moment.

"Spinel, I-"

"Was this some cruel joke to you?" Spinel cut the boy off before he could finish, "oh let's play a joke on Spinel, it's not like she has suffered enough!" She dragged a ragged breath.

"Well I've got a joke for you...I don't want to hurt you. No, no no. I want nothing to do with you!" Spinel's arms reached out and grabbed Steven pulling him close to her, inches from her face, their eyes met. Spinel glared at the boy and her voice lowered to a growl.

"I learned a trick from White, I don't want to hurt you, I want you to feel bad. Because if you taught me anything it's worth and you are not worthy of my friendship." Spinel flung Steven backward, crashing him into the crystal gems before they could manage to draw their weapons.
Spinel coiled her legs into a spring and vaulted from the floor, crashing through the roof and flying high into the sky, leaving Steven and his friends on the ground, struggling in the debris left behind from her escape.