part 14 Chapter Four: All for Show?

"I did this for you, Spinel- you!" He screamed as they flew through the warp. The reached their first destination.

The pink gem drew in a ragged breath, staring out at the familiar place.
Steven stomped off of the warp pad, pulling her with him as he ranted.

"I took you here to protect you, because I let you get corrupted, I left you here because I didn't know what else to do, you can't be mad at me about it!" He yelled, Spinel's face contorted into rage at his words and the gem lumbered towards him, raising her fist in anger.

"You did! And you expect me to be okay with it?! You didn't think that any other place would possibly be better?! You didn't think for a second- oh hey, yeah, this is the perfect place to leave Spinel, my mom was a freaking GENIUS!" She spat sarcastically at him. Steven's brow furrowed and he pushed the gem back into the warp, sending them to his second intended location.

The gem dropped to the ground, her face wild with rage as she searched the area for him. Steven stood at the edge of the Diamond Pool, his arms held out wide as if he were gesturing to his magnificent failures.

"Oh, yeah, I bet you had no idea the stupid pool would work, huh?!" She growled, lunging toward him, Steven blocked her hit with his sheild.

"I healed you! I fixed you and you hate me!" He replied, bubbling his fists to counter her punches. "I did this for you because I felt so terrible that I let you get hurt and I let you get corrupted and I LEFT you, and I don't even get thanked?! I get told that I'm just like mom, you- of all people, equate me to her!"

Spinel's hands wrapped around his fists and she grappled with him at the edge of the pool, her eyes wide and her teeth gritted in fury.

"She left you! She hated you and I didn't! You tried to kill me! And I still forgave you, I still protected you and I still let you stay! Because I'm not my mother, because I care about you! Because-"

"Steven, STOP!" Spinel's voice rang in his ears, louder than his own, louder than his wild thoughts. She flung him backward, crashing him into the waters of the pool.

She stood up, leaning over the pool to watch as he drifted deeper into the waters.

"I should have never trusted you."

Her voice was mottled by the sound of water in Steven's ears, he gasped, bubbled erupting from his mouth as he struggled to climb to the surface.