Pt 9 Chapter Three: Left Behind

Steven sat in his bed, dreading the day, they would be departing to find the kindergarten. He needed to deal with Spinel before they left though. He glanced at his night stand, grabbing a bottled water before making his way down the stairs.
Amethyst, Pearl and Garnet stood in the living room, ready to depart. Spinel sat on the couch forcing herself to look at least somewhat content with her circumstances.
Steven nodded at the gems, and the three of them stepped outside, leaning against the balcony, listening to any conversation Steven and Spinel might have.

"You think he's doing the right thing?" Amethyst muttered, staring down at the waves that breached the sands below.

"He's doing what he thinks is best." Garnet replied, "that doesn't mean it won't hurt."

Steven took a step toward Spinel, she looked at him, awaiting his words.
He rubbed his neck, trying to ease his stomach as it turned with discomfort at his actions.

"So, before we go, I wanted to show you something." He said tentatively, holding out his hand for her to grab. Spinel blinked, confused by his statement. She grabbed his hand and stood, following behind as he led her up the steps.
Steven paused, letting go of her hand and moving toward the warp pad controls, typing something in before reaching for her again.
He didn't speak, he didn't want to speak, he didn't want to do what he was about to do. But it was the only thing he could think of that would protect everyone, even Spinel.
The two of them stepped onto the warp pad dissipating in the light.

Spinel stared at Steven as he let out a reluctant sigh, she turned, her eyes drifting to the surroundings of their new location.

"What...are we doing here?" Her voice was soft, as she looked around at the decaying plants and broken pillars of the garden. She looked back at Steven, then down at his hand as it was firmly clasped around hers.
The boy stepped off of the warp pad, pulling her with him. Spinel stumbled forward, gently pulling against his grip, which tightened with her efforts.

"Spinel, I-" his voice faltered, "you can't come with us, and you can't stay in Beach City-"

"Why not? I won't do anything-" Spinel's eyes flickered back toward the garden as fear began to grow inside her. "Steven why did you bring me here?"

The gem pulled against his grip once more, trying to get his hand to loosen, anxiety pricked her skin like needles all over her body.
Steven turned his eyes from her, struggling to explain. Hating that he had to.

"It's safer, for everyone- if you."
Spinel's eyes grew wide and her heart dropped to her feet, she wrenched her hand from his, trembling as the realization overcame her.

"N-no!" She stammered, looking back at the warp pad. "Anywhere but here- you can't make me stay here."

Tears began to form in her eyes and she clutched her gem, wanting to rip it out of her chest. Steven took a step backward as she leaned toward him. Not here. Anywhere but here. The gem frantically looked about the garden, feeling as though the plants were coming back to life.

"Please." Spinel looked into his eyes, her voice wavered and she could barely finish the word.

Steven held back his own tears, shaking his head to prevent himself from giving in to her desperate plea.

"I can't heal you, this is the only place that's safe-" he tried to explain. The gem stared down at the ground, the aching inside her grew as he uttered the words.

"You said you wouldn't leave me." She murmured, bending slightly forward, she held back a wretch, shuddering.

"No one-"

"No one will find me- is that it?" She interrupted, her eyes drifting up to meet his. Steven gulped nervously, his mouth suddenly dry from the tension of the situation.

"So I don't hurt anyone? So you don't have to worry- about me hurting anyone?" She spoke quietly, working the words over to herself, trying to reach for his logic. She stood upright, slowly lowering her hands.

"You're just gonna leave me here? You're just gonna lie to me? Is- is it because I'm broken- or you just tolerate me?" Her brow furrowed at her words as she attempted to understand.
Steven took a hesitant step forward, realizing the signs of her spiral.

"Spinel, I don't want to leave you here-"

"Then why'd you bring me here? Cause- cause I can stay a-anywhere!" She stammered, trying to think of a place she could go. Anywhere but here. Not here.

"You just want me out of the way?!" Her voice cracked and she looked back at the warp pad.
Steven followed her gaze.

"Spinel, don't!" He grabbed the gem's hand before she made a break for the warp and yanked her back, accidentally slamming her into the ground.

"Spinel, I don't want to hurt you!" He gasped, the gem stared at him, confused by her sudden impact with the dirt. Her face twisted into a look of fear and rage.

"Why?!" She shrieked, pulling against his strength and causing him to stumble toward her, she screwed up her free hand for a punch, landing it on his sheild. Steven's tears couldn't be held back anymore, and he let out a soft sob.

"I'm trying to protect you!" He cried, the gem scrambled away from him, stretching her arm out as she ran toward the warp pad. Steven wrapped her hose like arm around his fist and forced her back just before she could reach the pad. The gem flew backward, smacking into one of the pillars and crumpling to the ground in a heap of tears.
Her sobs were cut short as she noticed Steven approach. She clung to the pillar, jettisoning herself toward him and toppling onto him.

"I don't get it! I don't understand!" She faltered, the grief in her voice leaking through. The streaks on her face began bubbling as her emotions overcame her. "This place- you promised!"

She toppeled over him, smacking the ground as he sat on top of her, his face stricken with guilt. She struggled against his strength, tears soaking the dried earth under her.

"Why are you leaving me here?!" She gasped through her tears, looking desperately in his eyes. "Why? What did I do? I'm sorry?! I don't understand!"

The gem pleaded, trying to find the words to say, something, anything that would change his mind. She wanted to leave here, this wretched place. She could go anywhere, anywhere. Not here.
She didn't even want to hurt him, she was doing everything right, she just wanted to leave. He wouldn't let her.

"Please?!" She cried, pushing against him. Steven's grip tightened around her arms, he dug his fingers into the ground as she writhed under him. He tore his eyes away from her flushed and crying face, glancing down at the gem on her chest.

"Please don't leave me?!" She shrieked, Steven quickly pulled up his hands, wrapping one around her neck and digging his fingers tightly into the earth just below it, the gem gagged, raising her arm and grabbing his jacket to try and pull him away from her.

"I'm sorry." He whispered, his own tears landing on her cheeks. He pulled his other hand away from her arm and pressed his fingers around her gem.

Spinel whipped her other arm around, pressing it against his chest as she struggled to escape. He dug his fingers into her body, wrapping them around the gem, she pushed once more before her form lost its strength. He pulled on the heart, yanking it from its place and causing the gem's body to explode into smoke and clouds.

Steven dropped to his knees, holding the pink heart in his hand, guilt ripping his insides apart.

"I just want to keep you safe-" his voice cracked as he lost his words. He pulled out his bottle of water. Taking a swig and pushing it around in his mouth before spitting it back into the bottle.

"I can fix this, I won't leave you here...I can-" he faltered, unable to finish his promise. He set the gem on the ground and put the bottle next to it, taking the cap off and shoving it in his pocket.

He bubbled the gem and bottle, the spit laden water gushed out, filling the bubble and soaking the gem inside.
Steven stood and looked back at the warp pad, walking slowly with his head hung.
He glanced back at the bubbled gem, unsure if she would forgive him. It was for the best, wasn't it?