Part Nine Chapter One: locations

Steven rushed down the stairs his jacket in hand, racing past Pearl who sat chatting with Garnet on the couch and bolted out the door.
He caught sight of Connie, and leapt over the balcony floating down slightly faster than normal.

"Connie!" He shouted, grabbing her hand and spinning her around, she laughed at his excitement, pulling him close to her and fusing with him.
Stevonnie emerged from the glow to the two of them, ready for the adventure that was coming.

"Alright!" The fusion grinned, sprinting back up the stairs only to be caught by Pearl who seemed mildly concerned about their plans.

"You really think this is a good idea?" She questioned looking the fusion up and down. Stevonnie lost her smile but nodded.

"We're less likely to be caught looking like this, and since I can't talk to Pink Pearl, going to homeworld is our best bet at finding out where the Diamonds went." They replied. Pearl let out a reluctant sigh and stepped aside, letting Stevonnie pass. The fusion made their way up to the warp pad and warped to New Homeworld.

"The rubies ship should be around here somewhere." They said to eachother as they stepped off the warp, searching for the tarped ship. Stevonnie spotted it behind Peridot's lab and ran toward it, quickly pulling off the tarp and stepping inside.

"You know how to work this thing?"

"Of course I do, just-"

Stevonnie pressed a button on the deck and the ship revved to life, lurching slightly as it did so.

"The coordinates should be in here, I think..." Stevonnie murmured delicately pressing one of the coordinate Pearl had set in. The ship shook violently and lifted itself into the air, before taking off into the sky.
Stevonnie smiled, and sat back in their chair, watching the stars pass by in ling streaks before the ship halted just above the orbit of Homeworld. The fusion leaned forward, peering out the view at the nearly dismantled planet. It was unnaturally quiet as they entered the atmosphere.
Not a single gem stirred.

The ship zoomed past buildings that had been wracked by Citrines and White Quartz soldiers alike, the debris crumbling in its wake.

Stevonnie stopped the ship at the still destroyed palace steps, and stepped out. The fusion turned to face the streets, gems lay poofed on the ground, or shattered, some few scurried into the shadows, seemingly afraid to see them there.
Stevonnie glanced from side to side before making their way up the stairs, stepping over the debris on the ground and entering the vacant palace.

"Its weird that no one is here." They said to themselves, looking into the shadows to see if any gem had remained. A very tiny gem slunk back into the shadows, prompting the fusion to take a hesitant step closer.

"Hey, don't be scared, I'm here to help." They said softly, reaching out a hand apologetically.
The tiny gem gasped quietly before scurrying out of the shadows. It was a pebble. Its oblong head tilted in confusion before realization flickered across its tiny face.
The pebble turned, beckoning out it's companions and a few more stepped out, followed by dozens, then hundreds. The pebbles climbed atop one another and climbed up Stevonnie's legs nearly knocking them off balance.

"H-hey?!" The fusion yelped confusedly as the pebbles cuddled them. The tiny little gems climbed down, one pulling on their finger trying to lead them into the shadows.

"You want us to go with you? Do you know where the Diamonds went?" Stevonnie asked,  pulling back their finger. The pebble clinged to it, swinging back and forth and squealing both impatiently and excitedly. Stevonnie nodded, setting the tiny gem on the floor and it pointed to the shadows, beckoning the two of them to follow.
Stevonnie followed the band of pebbles as they led them into the corridor, stumbling over one another until they reached White Diamond's chamber. The stopped and piled up the stairs pressing a mysterious floor panel which caused a large desk and chair to fold out from the floor. Stevonnie jumped backward, confused by the sudden shift in environment. They looked at the pebbles, who pointed at the top of the desk, squeaking for them to climb up to it. Stevonnie nodded, jumping into the air and grabbing the edge of the desk, clambering on top of it to see what it could provide. There was a very large cube, fit for White's size.
The fusion pressed it, causing it to glow and a very large holoscreen to manifest in front of them.

"Coordinates? To where?!" Stevonnie exclaimed, staring at the large numbers on the screen. The pebbles chirped in excitement at their discovery, but Stevonnie didn't seem exactly excited about the vague information. The diamonds could have put any coordinates into their computer, these weren't guaranteed to be where they went, and even if they did go there, it was well out of reach for the Rubies ship.
Stevonnie grumbled in disappointment before their eyes brightened at a thought.

"Its better than what we had before, we can find a way to get there." They smiled, jumping down from the desk.
The pebbled evaded their fall, but quickly moved to cheer at them.

"We should try to get back." Stevonnie said to themselves, glancing down at the pebbles.

A loud crash sounded from the palace entrance, prompting the fusion to break into a run to see the cause of commotion. The palace doors were shut, trapping them inside for the time being.

"Who did that?!" They exclaimed, pacing back and forth trying to think of a way out. It had been a while since Steven had even been at the palace, he couldn't think of any easy escapes.
Maybe a window.
Hopefully no one had damaged the ship, or blocked all the entrances. Whoever closed these doors didn't want them to leave.
Stevonnie dropped into a crisscross mulling over the thoughts in their head.

"Guess we're stuck here for the time being."