part 13 Chapter Five: She loves you

"I did this for you, Spinel- you!" He screamed as they flew through the warp. The reached their first destination.

Spinel drew in a ragged breath, staring out at the familiar place, the decrepit garden she hated so much.
Steven stomped off of the warp pad, pulling her with him as he ranted. She could barely move, confused and filled with fear as she watched the boy begin to lose himself to rage.

"I took you here to protect you, because I let you get corrupted, I left you here because I didn't know what else to do, you can't be mad at me about it!" He yelled, taking a step toward her and gesturing wildly at the scenery. Spinel felt her heart drop as he aired his thoughts to her. He was so mad at her and she couldn't understand why, she let out a wavering breath and forced a smile, holding her free hand up apologetically.

"Steven, I know you were trying to protect me..I just- this place maybe wasn't the best?" She had never seen the boy this fuming with rage, it startled her and scared her. He could leave her here again. But something was wrong. He wasn't like this.

Steven's brow furrowed and he gripped her arm pulling her toward him before he shoved her back into the warp, sending them to his second intended location.

Spinel dropped to the ground, her face wild with confusion and fear as she searched the area for him. Steven stood at the edge of the Diamond Pool, his arms held out wide as if he were gesturing to his magnificent failures.

"Steven!" She gasped, getting up to run toward him, "Steven I don't understand, I don't know what I di-"

"I healed you! I fixed you and you hate me!" He cut her off, bubbling his fists as she approached. "I did this for you because I felt so terrible that I let you get hurt and I let you get corrupted and I LEFT you, and I don't even get thanked?! I get told that I'm just like mom, you- of all people, equate me to her!"

Steven threw a punch at her, and she scrambled out of his reach, reeling from his marked change in behavior. Violence?
She stood up, hesitant to come near now, something was wrong, something was really really wrong.

"I don't think you're like Pink, Steven- I'm sorry that I didn't seem grateful to you-" she cut herself off, dodging a blow as his bubbled fists now garnered spikes

"She left you! She hated you!"
Steven screamed, Spinel halted, she stared at him, tears bubbling in her eyes at his hurtful words. The boy lunged toward her, slamming his fist into the ground where she stood, leaving a small crater from his strength alone.

"And I didn't! You tried to kill me! And I still forgave you, I still protected you and I still let you stay!" Steven's hand wrapped around her hair and he forced her back, sending her flying to the edge of the pool. Spinel scrambled to her feet in time to catch his fists as he flung himself at her. His eyes were wild with rage and he growled at her.

Spinel grappled with him at the edge of the pool as his fury grew, he shrieked in rage, hitting her hard in the gut and causing her to buckle over in pain.

"Steven, something's wrong with you!" She cried, looking up at him, though he couldn't see the fear and worry that streaked across her face.

He took a step toward her, his eyes beginning to turn a dark black as his irises became pink in hue. His voice was low as he spoke, becoming guttural, demonic.

"Because I'm not my mother, because I care about you." Spinel's eyes darted around the landscape as she panicked, trying to find a way to stop him. Her eyes met his for a brief moment and she kicked her feet under him, grabbing his hands.

"Steven, STOP!" Spinel shrieked, flinging the corrupted diamond into the pool, he splashed into the waters, sinking slowly, caught of guard by her sudden retaliation.

Spinel stood up, hesitantly leaning over the pool to watch as he drifted deeper into the waters.

"I'm so sorry, Steven."

The boy gasped under the water, and she dropped to her knees, reaching into the pool to drag the drowning boy out. His head breached the waters and he coughed, crawling onto the ground and lying on his back in a confused daze. Spinel stared at him, waiting for him to speak.