Part 15 Chapter One: Eat your Heart Out

"Connie?!" Steven's voice was rife with concern and panic as he grabbed her shoulders pulling her to the side of the beach house out of earshot from the other gems, but particularly Spinel.

The girl wrenched his hands from her arms in confusion, though his frantic worry didn't seem to cease.

"What's wrong?" She asked, preparing herself for more terrible news about the diamonds.

"I kissed Spinel!?"

The theory that had been slowly inching close to the front of Connie's mind now crashed into the small wall she built up and invaded her thoughts. Temporarily freezing her as she stared dumbfounded at the boy.

"You what?"

Steven grabbed her again, shaking her as if jostling her would somehow help the girl process his words.

"I don't think she knows what that means!" He stopped, looking down at the sand, "I don't even know what it means."

Connie finally relaxed and pulled herself from his grip, resting her hand on his shoulder, she opened her mouth to speak, but had to reform her thoughts for a moment.

"What do you mean?" She said, far more calmly than tmshe thought. Steven rubbed his neck, somewhat nervous to speak his thoughts.

"I think I might..like her?" What was he saying, of course he liked Spinel, she was kind and comforting and trusted him far more than he had expected and she was soft and sweet and funny and gentle and the way she-

"Yeah, but that doesn't mean she feels the same." Connie's words ripped him from his thoughts, forcing him back into reality. She was right. Spinel was a gem, she knew love and friendship but did she comprehend anything beyond that platonic relationship?
He may have kissed her but that probably only looked like a simple gesture of affection, she probably had no idea how much it meant.

Steven sighed, closing in in himself, guilt and embarrassment lingering over him as his thoughts turned dark.

Connie didn't intend to be so blunt, but she noticed how his demeanor immediately shifted.

"I mean, you could just ask her?" She backpedaled, knowing the providing him some kind of light at the end of the tunnel would bring him out of his depressed stupor.

"You're not mad?" Steven's words were quiet, he had forgotten how close he and Connie had been, and he had called her so quickly to tell her of his actions, he expected her to be upset.

Connie blinked, looking down at her feet, suddenly made uncomfortable by his question.

"Well, I kind of had a feeling.."she mumbled in reply.
Steven looked up and into her eyes, not entirely comprehending what she meant.

"What?" He felt lost now, suddenly swept up between her words and his feelings, and being lashed around by the great waves of them.

"I mean- you kind of made it obvious." She shrugged, still trying to find her words, she wasn't mad, she was a little sad, but it wasn't as if he would just dissapear on her. They would still be together, still be jam buddies.

"I did?" He questioned, trying to guess what he had done or said to make his conflicted feelings so known. Connie was smart though, and she could read him like an open book if she wanted, he wanted to smack himself for being so dumb all of the sudden.

"You talk and worry about her a lot, so I figured maybe.." she trailed off, stopping as she noticed the tears beginning to fall from his eyes. Steven wiped his face, shocking himself from his sudden outburst of emotion.