pt6 Chapter Two: Black Pawn

Spinel stood a few feet back from the rest of Aquamarine's crew, glancing at them every once in a while to make sure they weren't paying any attention to her. She turned to a porthole in the saucer, the endless black sky zoomed by while streaks of starlight passed. But she wasn't watching the stars.
She stared at her reflection, picking out every detail wrong with it she could find. The streaks on her face bubbled like tar from the corners of her eyes. She hesitantly pressed a finger to them, fearing that too much pressure would cause them to leak further.
The gem's mouth twitched in anticipation as she watched the black ooze bubble from her eyelid, creating a dark circle under her eye, she pulled her finger away, glancing once more at Aquamarine who was ecstatically recounting her triumph at Centauri 42.

It wasn't a triumph, she thought, it wasn't a win for Steven, he was likely at home beating himself up over not retrieving any weapons, while Spinel aided his enemy in acquiring theirs.
The pink gem drifted her eyes toward Bismuth's Scythe, it didn't look any different than the day she made it, but it felt off. It had an aura to it that Spinel couldn't comprehend, and even less the way it made her feel when she touched it.

She recalled the moment she took the scythe from Obsidian, the weapon seemed to scream at her, but inside the screaming, it sounded like voices, thousands of tiny voices whispering to her, telling her to do things, say things, hurt people. The screaming stopped when she dropped it, but the whispers didn't.  
Spinel shuddered at the thought of using the weapon again, every photon in her hated the idea of picking it up, despite it being made for her.

Obsidian had changed it, turned it into something terrible and she didn't know what. And she almost didn't want to know. Compounded with the weapon's effect on her.
Obsidian seemed keen to tell her not to hold it too long, that her gem couldn't handle it. But what was it?
What did she do to it? What did it do to her?

Spinel sighed softly, slinking down into a crouched position on the ground, her arms extended to her side like coiled hoses.
He told me to leave...again, she thought, her mind retreating into the darker recesses of itself.
Does he still like me? Is he still mad at me? The gem answered her own question with doubt.
She didn't want to betray him, she didn't want to take the weapon.
She had tried to talk to him, tell him she was sorry, that Aquamarine had made her help, and she wanted to leave with them.
I actually thought that I could just go with them like it was no big deal, the gem reminded herself.
I'm stupid!
Spinel bit her lip, knocking on her head in anger.

Stupid stupid stupid stupid-

"Hey!" Aquamarine's voice yanked Spinel from her self destructive thoughts, causing her to look up. The blue gem hovered over her looking confused and somewhat irritated. "You're not still caught up on Steven are you?"

She turned around waving her hand dismissively, "he doesn't care about you, he just cares about his real friends, you came too late to the party!"
The vile gem laughed at her own remark, fluttering away to pick up the scythe, she returned pressing the blade to Spinel's chest but not poofing her.

"But this, you did really well getting this in our hands."

Spinel flattened herself against the walls of the saucer as Aquamarine pushed the blade closer, it clinked against the heart shaped gem, causing Spinel to draw in a fearful gasp.
A smile split across Aquamarine's face as she gathered a conclusion to the gem's response, she pulled back, tracing her finger along the weapon.

"What? You think your a hostage?" She glanced back at the gem, "you chose to come with us, if you're so scared, why don't you just run away?"

She faced the gem now, "Or do you have nowhere to go?"

Aquamarine stared into Spinel's eyes, noticing the black streaks beginning to drip with tar. Her grin dropped as she inspected the pawn's face.

"What is that?"

Her remark caused Spinel to raise a hand to her face, pulling it away revealing the web like substance. Aquamarine flitted back in astonishment, not taking her eyes from the gem.

Spinel stared at the tar for what felt like hours before darting her eyes back at the blue gem, who had lost interest as was now jumping from one control panel to the next, directing the Topaz's and Antarcticite on where to head next.

Aquamarine fluttered by Antarcticite and leaned close to her, side eyeing Spinel as she spoke.

"I think we have a problem." She whispered.

"What is it now?" Antarcticite replied, not looking up from her panel. Aquamarine leaned closer, staying out of earshot of the other gems.

"That weapon does something to the gems who use it. I say we only let our friend Spinel have it." She answered, not turning to face Spinel, who sat moping in the corner, every now and then she pressed her face, pulling back more globs of tar and wiping it on the floor.

"That sounds like a bad idea, if she betrays us." Antarcticite deadpanned, now bored of the conversation. Aquamarine snickered at her response.

"Are you kidding? I convinced her to go to earth and kill Steven, she won't run, not if I make her believe she has no reason to." Aquamarine chuckled, "she's desperate, and easy to manipulate."