He's still a child - Greig Butterfly

"And suddenly you know: It's time to start something new and trust the magic of beginnings."  - Meister Eckhart

'Man, that boy is mad... or lost.' Gale paced back and forth in her room as she recalled her last conversation with Newton. 

"So.. you don't know his name?"

"No."

"You don't remember his face or anything?"

"No." 

"Approximately when did you hear him play exactly?"

"About 10 years ago..? I was six or seven. Not sure about that too." 

'Why do I care anyway?' Gale thought. If Newton can't find his special someone here, then he will probably leave Meldovern and be on his merry way to being a soloist. So why is Gale being so concerned? 

'Well, there's no harm trying to be nice to another human being. He's my...classmate,' Gale shook her head to clear her thought. It's completely normal to care about your fellow classmate, Gale supposed. She sat on her desk and began to write a letter to her secretary back home. 

'Dear Sansha 

Hope everything is well back home. I'm doing good and I have a favor to ask.

I want a record of people who stayed in Port Kaiim from 12 years ago to 8 years ago. Please send it to me as early as possible. 

Thank you.' 

Gale signed the letter. Her family has managed Port Kaiim for decades and always kept a detailed list of people coming in and out of port. Hopefully, he will get a reply after a few days, a key to helping Newton. 

***

Gale slept soundly the next day. Professor Claude's class was in the afternoon so Gale thought she might as well practice a little before then. She lazily picked up her violin bag and headed to the practice room at the library. The library assistant greeted Gale when she came in.

"Hello, Ms. Smaragdos. Going to the practice room?"

"Yes, any room available?"

"Sure, this is the key to the practice room 201. You can use the locker on the second floor for your instruments and other items if needed." 

Gale climbed up the stairs to the second floor. Maybe it would be a good idea to store her bags with music theory books in the locker. She walked through the labyrinth of shelves and to the corner where a tall locker stood. 

"Oh hey-" As she walked up closer, she spotted Newton next to the locker for cello and contrabass. 

"Shh!" Newton gestured frantically to Gale for silence when Gale greeted Newton. Gale, confused, looked up at Newton.

"What? What's the matter?" 

Newton didn't respond as he concentrated on hearing something. Then the voice boomed from the shelves somewhere close - "I'm going to KILL him!" - Gale jumped from the noise. Then the sound of shuffling shoes moved closer to them. 

Gale made an unintelligible sound of protest as Newton quickly swapped Gale from behind and pulled them inside the cello locker. The door locked behind them with a click. 

"What?" 

"Shhhh!!!" Newton covered Gale's mouth with his hands. The locker was only large enough to fit an instrument and they were squashed together like a pancake, facing each other. Only a narrow light came from a slit above Gale's head. Newton peeked cautiously outside through the slit from the darkness. 

Gale tried to pull Newton's hand away. His hand was a little moist with sweat and a smell of rosin... and maple?? 

"What the hell, Newton Frost?" Gale whispered frantically in protest, squirming in a cramped space. 

Then the angry voices outside - "Where are you, you bastard!" - shut Gale up as she flinched. There were several people outside the locker, all angry, looking for someone. Gale recognized their voices ... and some students from the violin class...

"What did you do?" Gale hissed when the voices got a little further away, still searching. 

"Well, I might have... switched their rosin with some maple candies today," Newton confessed.

"What? Why would you do that?" 

"Hey, it was a justifiable action. They were making fun of me being a commoner, ordering me to fetch them water this morning." 

Gale shook her head in disbelief. This boy was actually crazier than she thought. 

"You can't just -" Gale stopped as she heard fast footsteps coming closer to them. Then as they passed the locker, Gale took a deep breath in relief. 

"Nevermind. How long should we stay here?" 

"Well, I know our class starts in 10 minutes so they will be gone by then. After that, we can head to Professor Claude's office together." 

"10 minutes?? Are you freaking kidd-" 

"WHERE ARE YOU NEWTON FROST!!!!!!! YOU DIRTY LITTLE RAT-" 

Alright, 10 minutes it was. Gale sighed. The locker space was so confined that they were literally breathing into each other's necks. It was getting hot. Gale ruffled her shirt, sweating. Noticing Gale's discomfort, Newton tried to shuffle more to his back to make more space but it wasn't possible. Newton looked away with an awkward smile. Gale's face turned bright red. Because of the heat of course - Gale thought to herself.

"So, Gale Smaragdos. How are you coping with being this close with a commoner?" Newton whispered jokingly. 

"Shut up, Newton. I don't care if you're a homeless beggar or a pope at this point - I just want to get out." Gale muttered in distress. 

"You know, I thought you will be the worst at admitting me as a musician in this class - coming from the Smaragdos family and all that, but this is surprising." Newton chuckled. 

How could I not? Gale thought in exasperation. How could anyone not see you as a musician when you can play like that? 

"Don't judge me by my family name. I'm more than that." Gale looked up at Newton's eyes fiercely for the first time. Newton fell silent at her words. After a few seconds, Newton opened his mouth. 

"I'm sorry. I should have known better to understand what it's like to be judged consistently based on one's background," Newton apologized softly. 

Gale dropped her gaze. Moments of silence followed and Newton continued awkwardly. 

"I think it's alright to go out now. Want to head to Professor Claude's class?" 

"Yeah, let's," Gale hurriedly turned the inside of the locks and opened the door, to fresh air. 

As they headed to the classroom, Gale couldn't help but smile a little. The prodigy was still a child after all.