Let me help - Debussy La Mer

"Gale Smaragdos?" 

"Yes?!?" Startled, Gale shot up from the chair. 

Gale has just woken up from someone calling her attendance. She was in the classroom with a violin in her hand, sitting on a chair. Professor Claude looked at Gale with quizzical eyes. Other students giggled as they saw Gale's messy hair and an unwashed face. 

"When did you come to the class, Gale?" 

"Umm.....yesterday...?" Gale coughed, trying to hide her morning voice. 

It has been a crazy month for Gale: music theory classes, midterms, auditioning for the school orchestra, joining a string quartet project, composition classes, and preparing for a school competition. She has been practicing all night yesterday in the classroom and she remembers dozing off at one point... she has been sleeping here until the next morning. 

At least, she wasn't late for class. 

Professor Claude smiled. Gale was hardworking and sincere in her music and it showed during her practices: her playing has matured brilliantly for the past months. This was why Professor Claude assigned Gale to so many projects, which might have burnt her out. 

"Let's try to sleep in the dormitory instead, yes?" 

Gale nodded, her face red. 

***

After class, Gale went to practice her piece for the school competition coming up next week. Julia, a piano major student, was accompanying her. 

"You look like you were attacked," Julia laughed when Gale came into the practice room, looking homeless.

"Well, that's not entirely false......." Gale sighed as she tuned her violin. Her composition class was kicking her in the butt and her midterms were punching her in the face - she did feel beaten up. 

Gale shook her head as she started playing. She wasn't satisfied at all. She was just playing mechanically for the past few days because she was too busy to actually think. Gale felt like she didn't bring out any deeper interpretation of the piece she was playing for the competition yet. It was 'La Mer (The Ocean)' by Debussy, rearranged for violin solo. She loved this music but it was hard to bring out the quality she really wanted. 

"Try to get some sleep tonight, you worry me," Julia tapped Gale lightly on the shoulder as she left after the practice. 

"I hope," Gale murmured as she cleaned the violin. She still had more homework to do tonight so no, she probably won't be able to get some quality sleep anytime soon. 

When Gale finally walked out of the practice room, Newton was waiting for her outside. Newton was also busy, preparing for the competition next week and going through midterms. However, being a violin whiz as he already is, he could afford to get some more sleep while Gale really couldn't. 

"Did you sleep again during practicing?" Newton asked. 

"I'm literally about to pass out right now," Gale rubbed her eyes. 

"It has been a few days now, right?" Newton looked concerningly at Gale. They couldn't even really hang out with each other for some time since Gale was so busy, skipping not only sleeping but most of the meals too. 

"Do you want me to help you with that piece? Debussy's La Mer, right?" 

"No, this is a competition. I can't let you help me with everything." Gale shook her head. She wanted to do her best in this competition, but with her own effort. 

"Alright then. But at least sleep for 30 minutes before you go practice again. You will burn yourself out." 

"I feel like Julia would probably not want to accompany me anymore in embarrassment because I played like a violist today." 

"You're way too harsh on yourself. I'm sure you did just fine," Newton laughed. However, looking at Gale so tired, Newton couldn't help but feel a little anxious. 

"You need to eat something. Let's head to the cafeteria first." 

"I don't feel like eating anything." 

"You have no choice because I will be feeding you."

They took out a bowl of corn soup from the cafeteria and walked up to Gale's room. While Gale entered her room, she stumbled, losing her balance. Newton caught her just in time. 

"Are you sure you're not sick?" Newton guided Gale to the chair. 

"I'm fine. Just sleepy." Gale rested her head on the table and closed her eyes. 

Newton sat next to Gale. He scooped a spoonful of soup and blew into it to make sure it wouldn't burn. 

"Come on," Newton took a spoon closer to Gale's mouth. 

Gale obediently opened her mouth, taking a sip. 

"I'm having some problem interpreting the piece though. It doesn't feel like the real ocean when I play it. More like a dirty lake filled with trash," Gale mumbled as she swallowed. 

"Why do you think that way?" Newton scooped another spoonful of soup. 

"I don't know. It just feels like I'm not getting the ocean you know," Gale stood up straighter, frustrated at the thought once again. 

"Maybe you need to go there to feel it," Newton muttered. 

"What?" 

"Nothing, just eat your soup," Newton handed the spoon to Gale, smiling. 

***

It was three days before the competition. Gale was in the practice room, once again. She has been practicing for hours now but she still wasn't totally content with her music. 

Newton was walking to his own practice room when he listened to Gale practicing next door. He stood behind the door for a moment, listening to her playing. Newton could understand what Gale was talking about. Her performance was flawless in techniques but the phrasing sounded a little off. Newton peered through the window and found Gale crouching behind the music stand, staring at the sheet, lost. 

"Are you busy right now?" Newton opened Gale's practice room. 

Gale looked up at Newton, frustrated.

"Of course, I'm practicing for the competition."

"Well, too bad. I'm taking you to the beach right now." Newton took Gale's violin from her hands and shoved it in the case. 

"What??"

"Gale, tell me honestly," Newton sighed as he guided Gale out of the practice room.

"You have never been to the real beach, haven't you?"