Innocence - DJ Okawari Perfect Blue

"No man knows the value of innocence and integrity but he who has lost them

"No man knows the value of innocence and integrity but he who has lost them." - William Godwin

Gale was blushing from head to toe at the word 'date.' Newton was in his home ground and he felt incredibly more courageous making his move here than when he was at Meldovern. Also with Gale in his common clothes, Newton could almost forget the infinite chasm of social status between him and Gale, at least for a while. 

"Gale, I know you lived in the world of roast beef and fancy turkey dinner. Now, let me open up your mind to the new world of ... street food." 

Newton bowed playfully to Gale as they entered the night market in the center of Shobaim. Gale's eyes went wide. She has never seen anything like this before - food always came to her at the table, not something she needed to actively search for. 

Strings of lamps lit up the street. Crowds of people were underneath the lamps, moving from vendor to vendor. Children ran with a popsicle in their hands as adults bargained for lower prices. Families were buying groceries, lovers were holding hands, friends were fighting and laughing. There were dogs barking somewhere as music filled in every corner. 

"What do you want to try first?" Newton has already taken out an apple beer from one of the counters. 

Gale looked around, overwhelmed with so many choices. A sweet caramel smell grabbed Gale's attention first. 

"What is that?" Gale asked, pointing to one of the stands. There were groups of children giggling in front of the booth as they stirred a brown, gooey candy on a spoon. 

"That is a honeycomb toffee. You want to try it?" 

Gale nodded, excited. 

"Two honeycomb toffee, please,"  Newton ordered as they slid into the booth. The merchant gave them two copper spoons of sugar, sticks, and a little bit of baking soda. 

"How do I do it?" Gale asked, a little lost. 

"Melt all the sugar inside the spoon with a candle. Once it all melts, put a tiny bit of baking soda," Newton replied, helping Gale stir her sugar with a stick. 

Gale laughed as the liquid sugar turned into a honey brown puff once he put a little baking soda in it. She tasted the toffee with a stick. It tasted wonderful, sweet, and a little burnt. 

"I want another one," Gale looked up at Newton with shiny eyes as she licked the rest of the candy from the spoon. 

"One more spoon, please," Newton ordered right away, delighted to share his childhood snack. 

 This time, Gale tried to do it by herself without Newton's help. 

"Hey, careful!" Newton took the spoon out hurriedly but the spoon was already burnt into a mess. The merchant looked at the charcoal burnt spoon with angry eyes.